Sunday, November 1, 2009

November's ROCKIN!!!!!

The Coming Attractions for November are absolutely amazing!


Wow, how can it POSSIBLY be November already!!!????! I don't know where the year's gone. Sigh.

Oh well...it's here! So, hellllllooooo November!

We've got an exciting month in store for you, so fasten your seatbelts. As always, along with the delightful and always fun Romance Bandits who'll be here giving thanks and talking turkey, we have some fabulous guests this month.


On November 2 it's the ever-popular, totally fab Terri Garey! This Rita-award-winning author will be joining us to celebrate the release of the fourth and final book in her brilliantly popular Nick Styx series. In Silent Night, Haunted Night, a sexy spirit sets her sights on Nikki's boyfriend, Joe. The unwilling ghoulfriend to the dead will have to fight to be sure this Christmas isn't her last!


On November 3, science fiction and fantasy author Ann Aguirre makes her first visit in the Lair to celebrate the release of Skin Game, her romantic suspense debut under the pen name Ava Gray.

Just the cover alone on this one should have everyone stopping by!








Speaking of cool covers.....

On November 4, award-winning and best-selling author Karen White makes her first visit to the Lair to chat about her southern set novels. We'll look particularly atThe Girl on Legare Street, which features a real estate agent confronting ghosts and the past--and hoping she doesn't have to dig up her own.


Now, I don't know about your area, but here in the US, it's also voting day - Nov. 4th that is.

So I'm going to be celebrating November 5th that all the stupid political ads on television will FINALLY be gone! Woohooo! :>

(Edited note: Limecello pointed out that it's actually Nov. 3 for voting so I'll celebrate on Nov. 4 AND 5 that the ads are over!)






Along with that minor celebration, on 5th November, multi-published author Cathleen Ross (www.cathleenross.com) visits us to talk about her course, Writing Category Romance, which is available all around the world on CD.



She's also giving away a copy of the Harlequin anthology, THE NAUGHTY BITS: SHORT EROTIC FICTION, which includes her story "Psychic Sex".


Gotta say that I adore the title. Grins.




November 6, Julie Kenner returns with Tainted, the first volume of her new urban fantasy series, the Lily Blood chronicles.



Check out the sword-wielding heroine on the cover! Whew! You GO girl!








November 11 is a day to celebrate all our Veterans! Let's make sure no matter what country we're in, that we either say a quick prayer for those who serve, or thank a veteran you know!

On November 16, Dee Davis pops in to discuss her wonderful new matchmaker novel, Setup in Soho.


What a cool cover on this one too! :>









On November 18th join the marvelous duo of Anthea and Lawson, writing as Anthea Lawson, who'll be with us to talk about their new book.

"This husband-and-wife team’s second romance sweeps from the shores of Crete to the streets of London.…readers will enjoy the characters and the beautiful descriptions in this nice tale."

– Romantic Times

A brooding hero with a mysterious past meets the only woman who can bring him out of the shadows and into the light. Not what he expected... but ALL HE DESIRES.

That just sounds delicious!!


On November 21, we celebrate the launch of a brand new book blog, The Romance Dish.

The blog may be new, but the names aren't - The bloggers, Buffie Johnson, Gannon Carr, Andrea Williamson, and PJ Ausdenmore will join us for the party - and you already know how much these Bandit Buddies and FABULOUS reviewers love to party!!

WOOHOO! Party in the Laaaaiiiirrrr!

November 23rd Susan Heino is with us to promote her debut Regency release, MISTRESS BY MISTAKE which is a December release. You won't want to miss this one, Susan's a great author and a lot of fun to chat with!

Now in the States, November 27th is the best day of the month....

THANKSGIVING!!! WOOHOOO!

This day is one where Americans use the holiday as the perfect excuse to eat turkey, pie and other delicious stuff, watch football and either enjoy their families or spend time telling stories about them. Ha!


On November 27, another amazing day in the states, affectionately referred to as Black Friday - the first official shopping day in the Christmas season - we'll have debut author Lori Brighton with us.

Lori will join us to chat about her Victorian paranormal, Wild Heart. So if you're one of those who's going out on Black Friday to do your Christmas shopping, finish up quick and join us for a FAB day!







And last but not least, check out the cool prizes and fabulous contests on our very own Anna Campbell's website:

Christmas with a CAPTIVE OF SIN!

OK, that title is slightly misleading. Anna Campbell wants you to tell her your new year’s resolution. Extra points for saying ‘read CAPTIVE OF SIN’. OK, maybe not! Her two favorite answers receive signed copies of CAPTIVE OF SIN plus a couple of mystery books from her prize cupboard. Just email Anna on anna@annacampbell.info with your answer. The contest closes 31st December, 2009, and Anna will draw the winner soon after that.

For more information, please visit her contest page: http://www.annacampbell.info/contest.html

64 comments:

limecello said...

NOVEMBER!

Gannon Carr said...

Darn! I was so close to capturing the GR!

Congrats, lime!

Gannon Carr said...

Looks another fabulous month in the Lair. And I am supremely excited about guest blogging on the 21st with my fellow "Dishers", Andrea, Buffie and PJ.


Partay!!!!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hey Lime! He's back with his lady-love! Grins.

Gannon, we are SO excited about the new blog. You guys are gonna ROCK!!!

Pissenlit said...

Ha! Congrats limecello! Better like next time Gannon Carr!

Looks like another really fun month is in store!

And oh, interesting. I didn't know about Black Friday. I've heard the term at some point but not in this context.

Nancy said...

Limecello, congratulations! Gannon, better luck next time. :-)

We have a fun month coming up, with lots of great guests. Gannon, we're looking forward to helping the "Dishers" kick off your new venture.

Nancy said...

Pissenlit, did you know it's "Black Friday" because income from that day helps put retailers in the black for the year? At least, that's what Iv'e heard. I could be mistaken.

Nancy said...

I didn't send this to Jeanne, who did a fabulous job with the CAs and getting all those covers lined up--but I'm the Thanksgiving Day blogger, and I'll be sharing the dh's family recipe for Cringe-Proof Fruitcake. His Aunt Lillian's, I believe, as adapted by his sister and her husband from a recipe they said would feed half the city.

Pissenlit said...

Huh. That makes sense. :)

Pissenlit said...

Cringe-Proof Fruitcake? I didn't realise such a thing existed! I'll definitely have to swing by the blog for that. :D

Fedora said...

Ahh... another great month in the Lair! Thanks, Banditas!

Nancy said...

Pissenlit, yes, it's cringe-proof. I kid you not. It's not the kind of fruitcake I grew up with, the kind that's a big log of the candied fruit all squished together with some nuts and a dark substance sort of identifiable as cake, with a whole one dense enough to use as a doorstop.

(And for a great riff on fruitcake, check out Elizabeth Moon's Kylara Vatta series - vol. 1 is Trading in Danger.) This is more of a spice cake with the candied fruit in it. Depending on how far ahead you make it, the alcohol content can be anywhere from virtually zero to stratospheric. :-)

Off to bed now . . . g'night, all.

And congrats to Jeanne on putting all that together so well!

Anna Campbell said...

Wow, what a great line-up for November! I can hardly wait - especially for the visit of our friends from the Romance Dish. I think this is going to become one of the go-to sites for romance.

Hey, and don't forget to enter my contest, people! You should see the goodies in the prize cupboard - seriously, whoever wins will be delighted!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

HI Pissenlit! Doesn't it look fun? So many great guests.

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Nancy, you're doing Thanksgiving TOO? Yikes!

Nancy's hosting quite a number of our guests.

And anythign that makes fruitcake pain-free is good.

I'd heard that descripation of Black Friday too

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Gosh, I think I need spell check on this thing.

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hey Fedora! Should be a good one! Be sure to stop back in...

limecello said...

Er... Jeanne -which state are you in? Because... Election Day is Tuesday November 3rd here... First Tuesday after the first Monday in November... (Also because currently I'm working in a call center for the election which makes me want to go postal.)

Believe you me - as sick as you are of getting calls, I'm more sick of making them. I don't know that I can ever forgive my friend that roped me into this.

Also, WOW! Lots of comments tonight.

This month looks awesome - love November and Black Friday deals. :X I bought my wii on black Friday last year I think... and of course *super* excited about all the wonderful guest authors!

YAY YAY YAY IT'S NOVEMBER! 2009 IS ALMOST OVER!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hey Anna! You always have the best contests...we need to follow your lead!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Ooops! Got my dates wrong! Thanks Lime...I'll go back in and change it.

And why are YOU rushing through '09? Please don't make it go any faster than it already is!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Okay, I made an amended note there, for accuracy! Can't diss voting day! (Even if the ads are driving me insane.)

I'm for bed, and falling an hour back for Daylight Savings.

See ya' on the morning side!

Michelle Santiago said...

congrats lime! :)

it's only 8:56. still october here... november is my favorite month and it sounds like it's going to be a fun one here at the lair... WOOHOO!! and i can't wait to check out the new blog :)

Helen said...

Congrats limecello have fun with him

What another fantastic month coming up I can't believe it is November either doesn't time go fast when you are having fun.

There are some great authors coming along and I am so looking forward to the Romance Dish party way to go Ladies.


Have Fun
Helen

Jane said...

Can't wait for all the fun to start. I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving.

pjpuppymom said...

Another fabulous month in the lair! All of us Dishers are so excited about being your guests on the 21st! Thank you,Banditas!

Nancy, you're correct about why it's called Black Friday.

We only have local elections this year (city council, etc.) and none of the candidates have enough $ for television ads so we have been blessedly spared. :) Something for which to be grateful this Thanksgiving...besides the turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes and my friend's unbelievably delicious cranberry salad. Oh, and the pumpkin and pecan pies too! :)

Anna Sugden said...

Wooohooo!!! Another fantabulous month in the Lair! Great to see so many wonderful authors joining us and extra happy to be partying with our pals from The Romance Dish. You guys already are the best and I know your blog will rock!!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here ... or Black Friday *g*. But, we do have a celebration on November 5th - Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night, as we celebrate with bonfires and fireworks. It's to remember when a plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament by Guy Fawkes and his gang was foiled.

Anna Sugden said...

We don't have the elections either, so no problems with voting ads - but, I'm already sick of Christmas ads!! Since when do we have Christmas ads starting in October?!

pjpuppymom said...

Anna, I know! If they can't wait until after Thanksgiving for the Xmas ads, at least wait until after Halloween! Sheesh! You don't want to get me started. lol

Buffie said...

OMG, November is a busy and wonderful month in the Lair!

And I can't wait until the 21st when The Romance Dish takes over and throws a party! Please tell Sven and the others to be sure to rest up, they are going to need it *VBG*

Nancy, cringe-free fruit cake? Is that an oxymoron? LOL! I'll have to be sure to check out that recipe.

Gannon Carr said...

Anna, it's not just the way-too-early Christmas ads. Some of the stores insist on displaying Christmas merchandise before Halloween is over! Aargh!

Joan said...

OMG...I saw that first picture and thought "My, we need to get the GR on The Biggest Loser"

A cringe proof fruitcake? Really?

I've only tried to make a fruitcake one time. Doused it with so much brandy it started to get a silly grin on it's face...but it still was blech.

And yay for the Dishers coming on the 21st!! Forget Sven, Demetrius, Lucien, Marcus and a new glad named Bob keep looking at the calandar, polishing their swords with little knowing smiles on their faces......

Buffie said...

**batting lashing** Joanie, do they need some help polishing?? *VBG*

Pissenlit said...

Joan - Doused it with so much brandy it started to get a silly grin on it's face...but it still was blech.

Your fruitcake had a face?? Just how much of the brandy did you have before your fruitcake got any? ;)

Joan said...

Um, Buffie....I think that's what they have in mind..

Their conundrum is which Disher goes to which glad?

They are whispering about a contest.....and I don't think it'll be in the arena!

pjpuppymom said...

Their conundrum is which Disher goes to which glad?

We have to choose? I thought we could share! *vbg*

Gannon Carr said...

A contest, Joanie? Not in the arena?? Oh, bring on those glads!! :-D

jo robertson said...

Super lineup for November, Duchess! I'm so glad we have some new authors visiting the Lair, and of course, happy for the return of old friends!

Joan said...

Hmmm...share PJ? I'm not sure. The boys ususally zero in on one thing at a time...

HINT: I hear Bob is fond of chcolate ;-)

Caren Crane said...

Lime, you and the GR are causing all sorts of talk. Not that HE minds, but it may hurt your rep! *g*

I can't believe it's November but am thrilled at all the excitement we have going on. The Lair will be redolent with the scents of roasting turkey (I prefer mine brined with roasted herbs, please), sweet potatoes, cornbread dressing and pumpkin pie.

Oh, that reminds me I need to call my mother. Last year, I waited so long to touch base about what to bring for Thanksgiving that she asked me to bring drinks. DRINKS! All the Southern women here know that means I was IN THE DOGHOUSE. *sigh* Hoping to make up for it this year....

Caren Crane said...

Uh-oh. Lime made me want to go play Wii. Must. Resist. Mario Kart!

Caren Crane said...

See there? Fruitcake is already getting no love. My mother makes fantastic fruitcake! Of course, it's very spicy and contains no orange peel, which is what my mother says makes it nasty. *g* We also don't put alcohol in that one. We save that for my grandmother's Jam Cake. Yummy!

Louisa Cornell said...

November will be another fabulous month in the Lair. Can't wait to hear all about the Dishers!

Lime, are you two ready to set a date or what? I think Lime is loading her chicken feed with tequila or something.

And hey JOANIE !!! Congrats on the Finally A Bride final! WOOT!

Unknown said...

Looks like another fantastic month a head of us. Can't wait!

Congrats lime!

Nancy said...

Jeanne, Thanksgiving happens to be the 26th, which happens to be my regular day. I do have more guests than usual this month, but they're all great!

Nancy said...

Joan, the dh's mom was a big proponent of heavy brandy use on fruitcake. She made her fruitcakes several weeks before Christmas and basted them with brandy daily in the interim.

This recipe uses fruit soaked (the dh's brother-in-law and sister, who used to run a fabulous restaurant in Iowa, inform us the correct term for this, with fruit, is "macerated") overnight in brandy. Cheap brandy works just fine. And we brush some of the rest of it over the finished fruitcakes before delivery. Or not,depending on the recipient's preference. The alcohol in the fruit bakes off, so if you want any in the end product, you have to add it.

Nancy said...

Caren, this fruitcake also has no orange peel.

Nancy said...

Helen, we're also very excited about the visit from The Romance Dish crew. It'll be a pre-holiday highlight!

Nancy said...

My guest for Monday, Ann Aguirre, is multifaceted. I discovered her in the Sirantha Jax romantic SF series. Several pages into the first book, Grimspace, I was astounded to realize it was written in first person present tense. I normally don't like present tense, but I hadn't even noticed it because I was so absorbed in the story. She'll be here to discuss her romantic suspense release, as noted in the blog post, but we'll chat about Jax and the Corine Solomon books as well.

Nancy said...

Joanie T--congratulations on Finally A Bride! Demetrius and Marcus seem especially happy. And Sven didn't even gripe (much) about pouring champagne for them.

Rome rules!

Trish Milburn said...

Sounds like another fabulous month. And I'm with you, how in the world is it November already!?

Joan said...

Pissenlit

I don't drink brandy..um, sorta like I don't watch scary movies...

Hic

Joan said...

YOu make the fruit cake sound SO simple Nancy....

As to alcohol baking off? Depends, er on how much you put in it.

Years ago, I was baking my State Fair entries at my parents house. I had decided to put whiskey in my pecan cake. I did not want to buy any and my parents had a fifth in their cabinet...that they'd had for, oh about 10 years.

I poured a generous amount in...thought "Man, that's strong. But it'll bake off"

The scent of whiskey permeated the house the whole time it was in the oven...a GAS oven.

Took it out (still redolent of the mash) and while done, broke apart out of the pan.

So my Daddy started munching on the pieces and finally said. "You know Joan, if you gave this to the judges first, you'd win every prize!"

Nancy said...

Joan, the fruit is already candied, so it doesn't absorb a whole lot of the alcohol. There may be a residual to it, but it's not one I personally notice. Not like that very potent mash you used. *g*

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Anna, does that mean I can blow something up on November 5? Grins. C'mon Nancy, Cassondra...Let's go get the C4!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Caren, I need the jam cake and the fruit cake recipes, asap. :>

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Joanie, I have this recipe for a filled bread that I make at Christmas and it calls for the fruit to be (as Nancy said) macerated in whiskey. Then, to add even MORE punch (harhar) to it you put in kirsch, which is a kind of schnapps) and pear brandy.

Wow. I'm not huge on alcohol soaked stuff - wait, forgot about Donna's fuzzy navel cake! that's prime stuff! - but this stuff is marvelous. Juuuuussssst marvelous. And with coffee? Yummmmmm. :>

Susan Sey said...

Hey, Jeanne--

Thanks for the preview of the coming attractions! November's going to be a rocking month in the lair--I'm totally looking forward!

And I'm especially excited about the launch of the Book Dish! I can't wait to see where the ladies take it!

Nancy said...

Anna, I love the whole Guy Fawkes Day concept--though it didn't work out so well for him.

Whoever's blogging 11/5 might want to keep a wary eye out.:-)

Nancy said...

Jeanne, C4? On 11/5? Too many numbers! *g*

It'd also be quite a contrast to Karen White's novel, Girl on Legare Street, on 11/4. Karen's books are very popular with book clubs. I don't know that book clubs are so into "boom." More like characters and situations.

We do love our boom around here, though.

Nancy said...

Jeanne, I want that filled bread recipe. Also Caren's recipes that you requested.

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

I'll get it to you Nancy. Its wonderful. I'll also dig it out soon, since the filling has to steep in that alcohol for like a week! Ha!

Susan, it should be a great month, eh?

Pat Cochran said...

Yay, November! So many great guests,
leading off with one of my special
favorites: Ms. Terri Garey!! I look
forward to visiting with them all!

Pat Cochran

Linda Henderson said...

It looks like another great month.

Andrea said...

Wow, what a great November y'all have planned!! I'll be sure to visit often. ;) And we can't wait to DISH here on the 21st!!! Woo-hoo!