Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me!

by Susan Sey

Okay, this is going to be a short one because a) I'm totally jetlagged and b) it's my birthday.

I'm completely jet lagged because my husband & I just returned less than 12 hours ago from a 10th anniversary trip to Hawaii (which was INCREDIBLE--I recommend Kauai without reservation), but what I really want to talk about is the birthday thing.

And, yeah, I really do want to talk about it.

I know some women like to stop having birthdays once they hit thirty or so but I'm 38, in case anybody's curious. Looking 40 riiiiiiight in the eye, thank you very much. And I have no intention of ignoring my birthday, now or ever.

And why?

Because I'm all about cake.

I like presents as much as the next girl, of course, but I don't really get my kicks out of surprises in pretty boxes, or thoughtful momentoes of cherished occasions.

I want cake.

I like parties, too. Love spending time with family & friends. Love hanging out with my kids & celebrating just about anything. And I'm easy to please in terms of gatherings.

Beer on the patio for your graduation? Great. Dinner & dancing for your wedding? Super. Back yard BBQ for a family reunion? Nice. Fancy shin dig for your parents' 40th wedding anniversary? Sweet.

But when it's my birthday?

Cake.

Guess what I'm doing to celebrate my 38th birthday today?

I don't know either (the kids have been very secretively planning something with their grandparents while my husband & I were away).

But my family knows me & I'm pretty sure there's going to be cake involved.

How about you? How do you like to celebrate when it's your big day? Because it's your day, after all. Are you a presents girl? Do you love a good surprise party? Or are you like me & all sweet tooth-centric?

p.s. And where there's cake? There better be ice cream. I'm just saying...

63 comments:

Daz said...

Happy Birthday, Susan!!!

Daz said...

It's always wonderful to have something special on your birthday and do it with people you love. Sounds like you will have a fun birthday planned for you ... with cake!

For me, each year, when it's my birthday it's usually a day long or weekend long celebration, depending on when it falls. For starters, my boy always takes the day off work (it's our tradition) and so do I. That's followed by lots of fun things planned (by him) of things that he knows I would like to do during the day, a short rest in the afternoon and then topped with a lovely dinner out. The birthday present is always the big thing, usually a GRAND GESTURE from the boy. This year it was a gift certificate from my favorite shoe store for a one year supply (by his calculations) of shoes, which worked out to be 10 pairs. :-)

It's usually one heck of a birthday. I hope yours is too.

Jane said...

Happy Birthday, Susan. I don't always have a party on my birthday, but I always have cake. I usually get a Carvel's ice cream cake as my birthday cake. Of course I love presents, but I don't always get one for my birthday because it's so close to Christmas and a lot of times they wait to give me the combo gift instead one gift each for birthday and Christmas.

cories said...

Happy 38th Birthday, Susan!

Yes to cake! And ice cream! Preferably chocolate for both!

Personally, I'm more the giver than the receiver for gifts as I generally buy whatever I need myself. Still, gotta practice being a gracious recipient. :)

cories119[at]yahoo.com

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, Daz, congrats on the birthday chook!

Hey, Susan, congratulations TO the birthday chook!

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful birthday. And I must say the trip to Hawaii counts as a wonderful way to celebrate, even if the occasions got mixed up ;-)

It was my birthday last Tuesday so from one Virgo chick to another, kick your heels up, babe!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSAN!!

I adore cake too! Chocolate layer with chocolate sourcream icing and a big glass of milk. OMG!!

I have a daughter who doesn't like cake that much, (horrors I know!!). So for her birthday I make her either a pumpkin pie or pumpking cheese cake.

My husband loves strawberry shortcake. Since his birthday is in the spring, he gets homemade strawberry shortcake.

Now me? I like to do several things for my birthday. First, I take the night before and the night of my birthday off. (Hey, it's my personal holiday, why shouldn't I have it off?) Then I go to the Cheesecake factory and buy a slice of Dulce de Leche cheesecake. Pardon me while I have a moment.....ah....such a wonderful treat!. Then I go to the bookstore and indulge. And every year or so I get a foot massage!!!

Now, that's how I celebrate!

flchen1 said...

Woohoo, Susan!!! Happy anniversary and happy birthday!!! I like your plan--cake is a GOOD thing! Wishing you LOTS of it, whatever you may be doing to celebrate :) As for me, I'm not big on being surprised (not a big fan of all-eyes-on-me situations), but I am a big fan of cake and ice cream! Presents can be good, especially if they are books ;)

Have fun with the GR, Daz!

Pissenlit said...

Yay! Happy birthday, August birthday buddy! I am so with you about the cake!

Last year, I failed to mention cake and didn't get one at all(so so very wrong) so, this year I said, "I want a chocolate cake with icing, damnit!" just to make sure. Anyhow, because of the pretty hilarious Double Rainbow video on YouTube and the subsequent Double Rainbow Song video, one of my friends made me a giant Triple Rainbow chocolate cake from scratch(one rainbow per decade, I'm told). It was oh so very incredibly rich and chocolate-y and covered in colourful icing. NOMNOMNOM! There was no ice cream, though. Note to self: Next year, mention cake AND ice cream.

Oh and I am totally anti-surprise parties if I'm the recipient.

Helen said...

Well done Daz have fun with him

WHOO HOO Happy Birthday Susan and I have to agree with you I too love cake on my birthday or anyones for that matter. I always make the grandkids a cake their choice of design within reason (meaning I can do it LOL) and I always make sure that we all have a cake because I would never want to miss out.

Have Fun
Helen

Daz said...

Thanks Anna and Helen. We're going to enjoy some time chilling and reading our favorite ... romance novels ... over the weekend.

Mason Canyon said...

Happy Birthday, and many more.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

hrdwrkdmom aka Dianna said...

Happy Birhday Susan. Wishing you many, many more. I am not so much of a cake person, I am all about the food. Take me out and feed me and that will make it a happy birthday for me.

Joan said...

Happy Birthday to my duckling!!!!

I'm revving up the KitchenAid, butter and sugar and eggs at the ready.

Name your cake.

Um, it might be a bit droopy by the time it hits MN but...the sentiment is all there :-)

I've not had a birthday party since I was 13. I'd not had a birthday cake since my Mom passed until....until our own Donna, having read that baked me one and brought it to a Bandit gathering.

Sniff.....

Best cake I'd ever had!

You have a good one!

Deb Marlowe said...

Happy Birthday Susan!

My tradition is extending the day out--into a week if possible. :-) Having a shindig with the fam, with the girls, with the dh alone if I can swing it. :-)

And I'm with you--cake is a necessity. Any kind. My dh, on the other hand, does not love cake. He gets an apple pie on his day.

Susan Sey said...

Hi, Daz! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Daz wrote: The birthday present is always the big thing, usually a GRAND GESTURE from the boy. This year it was a gift certificate from my favorite shoe store for a one year supply (by his calculations) of shoes, which worked out to be 10 pairs. :-)

Holy cow! That IS a grand gesture! Your boy is definitely worth hanging on to. :-) Ten pairs, huh? How many have you indulged in so far? :-)

Susan Sey said...

Jane wrote: Of course I love presents, but I don't always get one for my birthday because it's so close to Christmas and a lot of times they wait to give me the combo gift instead one gift each for birthday and Christmas.

Oh, that's a bummer. I don't even put all that much store by presents, but I wouldn't enjoy the combo christmas/bday thing.

However, I do want your opinion on the ice cream cake thing. As much as I love ice cream, I thought I'd totally dig an ice cream cake. But I felt kinda ripped off by it. I mean usually I get ice cream AND cake. But if I have an ice cream cake, I only get ONE thing. And I want TWO. Cause I'm greedy like that.

How to do you handle it? Do you just get an enormous piece? Or am I just a gluttonous thing?

Susan Sey said...

cories wrote: Yes to cake! And ice cream! Preferably chocolate for both!

Yes to chocolate cake (with white icing)! But no to chocolate ice cream. I have a completely illogical knee-jerk NO to chocolate ice cream. I can't explain it. It's limiting, I know. There you have it, though. My husband & kids all love it, though. Are you a die hard chocolate fan, or do you embrace vanilla as well?

Susan Sey said...

Anna C wrote: It was my birthday last Tuesday so from one Virgo chick to another, kick your heels up, babe!

My Virgo sister! Happy belated bday to you! I saw it was your big day last week but I was in Hawaii, & didn't do much computer stuff so I'll take the opportunity to say HAPPY DAY! How did you celebrate?

Susan Sey said...

Suz wrote: Then I go to the Cheesecake factory and buy a slice of Dulce de Leche cheesecake. Pardon me while I have a moment.....ah....such a wonderful treat!. Then I go to the bookstore and indulge. And every year or so I get a foot massage!!!

Honey, I like how you roll. I'm taking notes here, especially that foot massage part. Maybe I'll see if my kids will rub my feet later...

Susan Sey said...

flchen1 wrote: As for me, I'm not big on being surprised (not a big fan of all-eyes-on-me situations), but I am a big fan of cake and ice cream!

I'm totally with you on the not being surprised thing. I dislike trying to have an appropriate reaction when people are watching. But cake is ALWAYS welcome. :-)

And, as you said, books--or gift certificates for books--makes me happy every single time. Always a hit.

Christie Kelley said...

Happy Birthday, Susan!! I love birthdays too, especially my own. And like you, I'm all about the cake. I have one son who really doesn't care about cake on his birthday so we always do an ice cream cake. It's just not the same!! Ice cream is great and goes wonderfully with cake but it's not cake.

Have a great birthday and never stop celebrating them. My mom turned 83 this year and celebrated for 4 days.

PJ said...

Happy Birthday to a fellow Virgo! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with sunshine, smiles, lots of laughter and plenty of hugs.

Joan said...

But if I have an ice cream cake, I only get ONE thing. And I want TWO. Cause I'm greedy like that.

Here's the secret Susan...get if from Baskin Robbins. Chocolate or white cake base with ice cream of choice. Mine is choc cake with chocolate chip ice cream!

flchen1 said...

Speaking of books, Susan--Money, Honey is AMAZING!!! You SO rock!

But now I want more! When do we get Goose's story again?

Louisa Cornell said...

Happy Birthday, Smoov!! Hawaii AND a surprise? Lucky you! And you do NOT look 38. You barely look 28!

Daz, you nabbed the bird. Keep him away from the cake. All that sugar is NOT good for him.


Hey, cakes are my business. Susan, if by some horrible accident you don't get a cake check out cakewrecks.blogspot.com There you'll see examples of the cakes you DON'T want to get.

I do love cake, especially if I don't have to make it. Because my birthday is four days after Christmas I seldom get a birthday cake. Bummer.

I wish I was there in Oz, La Campbell. I'd make you a cake that looks like Richard Armitage or perhaps a handsome cowboy? VBEG

We do a cookie cake that looks like a pizza with everything. We also do a cake that looks like a cheeseburger. I am really lucky because I have a couple of truly creative decorators working for me. We have come up with some cakes that surprised even us.

Oh and we are going to start carrying ice cream cakes! Can you say YUM!

PJ said...

We do a cookie cake that looks like a pizza with everything. We also do a cake that looks like a cheeseburger...Oh and we are going to start carrying ice cream cakes! Can you say YUM!

I can say YUM, Louisa! Wonder if my local Wal-Mart is going to carry ice cream cakes? Their regular cakes are delish!

Susan Sey said...

Pissenlit wrote: Last year, I failed to mention cake and didn't get one at all(so so very wrong) so, this year I said, "I want a chocolate cake with icing, damnit!" just to make sure.

See?? How does this happen?? How is it that people don't know you deserve a cake on your birthday? My MIL came to stay with the kids while I went to the RWA conference this year, and her bday happened while I was away.

I called my husband and said, "GET YOUR MOTHER A CAKE. SERIOUSLY. SHE'S A MOM, SHE'S DONE CAKES FOR EVERYBODY ELSE HER WHOLE ADULT LIFE AND SHE'S DOING US A MAJOR SOLID. GET HER A CAKE. RIGHT. NOW."

He did. :)

But, shoot, how do people think it's okay for mom to get her own damn cake??

Susan Sey said...

Helen wrote: I always make the grandkids a cake their choice of design within reason (meaning I can do it LOL) and I always make sure that we all have a cake because I would never want to miss out.

Well...yes. :-) There's a self-serving component to my cake obsession. I like cake on other people's birthdays, too, so I was always the girl at college (and in the outdoor ed years after where we were all living together like college still) that produced cakes for everybody's birthdays.

What can I say? I like cake.

And ice cream.

Did I mention that?

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday, Susan!

I'm not big on cake, unless it's angel food topped with fresh strawberries. Now brownies with frosting is a different story. Do those count as cake?

My birthday is in January and I hibernate that time of year. My idea of a perfect birthday is a good book near the fire, plenty of snacks, a good dinner, and lazing around all day. When I must, I celebrate with family on a different day.

Cassondra said...

Happy Birthday Susan!!!

I love cake too! I don't usually have it because it's not on my diet, and that's really rotten, isn't it? To have something as heavenly as cake be NOT on your diet??? I just think that's wrong.

Lessee....I don't have particular interest in getting presents because a) I already have too much stuff--need to get rid of some-- and b) I'm very picky, so unless someone knows exactly what I want, it's hard to pick for me. And quite honestly, I don't have anybody who pays quite that much attention to my yearnings.

However that does not take the fun enjoyment and "Ohhhhh SHINY" fascination out of GETTING a present.

But if somebody wants to make my birthday special, they'll take me out to dinner, (or plan a meal here at home) with friends I love and who love me, we'll eat together, drink good wine (or beer) together, and to top it off, sit around my firepit long into the evening laughing and sharing, OR we'll play my favorite games around the kitchen table.

And yes, there most definitely should be cake--purely for the ceremony of it, even if I'm not supposed to eat it. (Okay maybe I'll sneak a little piece).

So glad you had a great anniversary vacation, and I hope your birthday is everything wonderful.

Susan Sey said...

Mason wrote: Happy Birthday, and many more.

Thanks, Mason! Any day that involves cake & ice cream is a happy day for me, so I like other people's birthdays as much as my own these days. :-)

Susan Sey said...

hrdwrkdmom wrote: I am not so much of a cake person, I am all about the food. Take me out and feed me and that will make it a happy birthday for me.

Ooooh, then I bet you've got a favorite birthday meal, don't you? What is it?

Susan Sey said...

Joan wrote: I've not had a birthday party since I was 13. I'd not had a birthday cake since my Mom passed until....until our own Donna, having read that baked me one and brought it to a Bandit gathering.

Oh. Oh, Joanie, this brought a tear to my cynical old eye. Donna, you're a gem. And Joanie, Mama Duck, you DESERVE a cake!! Every year! What is that brother of yours thinking?? Or not thinking as the case may be.

I want his email address, stat.

And just for future reference, when's your bday?

Susan Sey said...

Deb M wrote: And I'm with you--cake is a necessity. Any kind. My dh, on the other hand, does not love cake. He gets an apple pie on his day.

You know, we have one of those in our family, too. My mom bakes him apple pies on his b-day. Then again, she bakes him apple pies a lot. She only had daughters, so she treats her son in laws like kings. My own husband get regular deliveries of her famous lemon-poppy seed loaf. Me? Nada. :-)

Oh, I shouldn't say that. I get CAKE!

(and ice cream. did I mention the ice cream?)

Susan Sey said...

Christie K wrote: I have one son who really doesn't care about cake on his birthday so we always do an ice cream cake. It's just not the same!! Ice cream is great and goes wonderfully with cake but it's not cake.

I *know*, right?? I like cake AND ice cream. I don't want one measley little slice that rolls them both together.

And I love the idea of celebrating longer the older you get. When I'm 83 I hope I'm up for a four day party.

Susan Sey said...

PJ wrote: Happy Birthday to a fellow Virgo! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with sunshine, smiles, lots of laughter and plenty of hugs.

Hey, thanks, Virgo girl! When's your big day? We'll have to celebrate!

Susan Sey said...

Joan wrote: Here's the secret Susan...get if from Baskin Robbins. Chocolate or white cake base with ice cream of choice. Mine is choc cake with chocolate chip ice cream!

Oh, well, see I've been getting them from DQ. Maybe that's my problem.

Then again, if I cut myself a huge enough slice, I'll bet I'd be happy either way. :-)

Susan Sey said...

flchen1 wrote: But now I want more! When do we get Goose's story again?

Awww, you're so nice. I'm so glad you liked Money Honey. And it's funny you asked about Money Shot (Goose's story) because I just got a draft of the back cover copy & where I thought it was slated for July 2011, the notes said June! So earlier than I thought and YAY on being in time for the RWA conference next year. So here's hoping it really is June....

Susan Sey said...

Louisa wrote: Hey, cakes are my business. Susan, if by some horrible accident you don't get a cake check out cakewrecks.blogspot.com There you'll see examples of the cakes you DON'T want to get.

OMG, I've seen this. It has reduced me to gasping tears on the floor. I just can't believe some of the stuff they have on there. Have you, as a baker, ever had a disaster you were tempted to submit?

Susan Sey said...

Laurie wrote: I'm not big on cake, unless it's angel food topped with fresh strawberries. Now brownies with frosting is a different story. Do those count as cake?

Oh, my dear, of course they do! And if you throw a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, you're looking at my version of heaven.

Now my husband likes the brownie warm & gooey, so the ice cream gets all melty & soupy. I myself prefer the brownie itself frozen solid. Can't say why. I just like my sweets cold and chewy. Go figure.

What do you like?

Susan Sey said...

Cassondra wrote: But if somebody wants to make my birthday special, they'll take me out to dinner, (or plan a meal here at home) with friends I love and who love me, we'll eat together, drink good wine (or beer) together, and to top it off, sit around my firepit long into the evening laughing and sharing, OR we'll play my favorite games around the kitchen table.

This sounds so heavenly. Especially the part where you sneak a slice of cake because, hell, it's your BIRTHDAY. :-)

My family's taking me to a restaurant today where you play bocce ball outside on the lawn before your food comes. Then we'll go back to my sister's house (I'm in MI with my folks rather than at home in MN) for cake & ice cream.

Shaping up to be a darn good day. :-)

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday, Susan!

I love cake. Especially that sugary, lard-based icing. When I was little, I had birthday cakes with dolls waist-deep in the middle--Barbie type but nothing so expensive--and the cake frosted to look like a gown with a very big skirt. I loved those cakes. Now I love flowers.

And caramel icing. Bakeries aren't big on caramel icing, which is a very decent substitute for lard-based. As is chocolate.

Presents are less important than they used to be. The things I'd like that I wouldn't just go buy for myself are sooo expensive (the reason I don't go buy them myself) that they're unlikely to end up under a tree or next to a cake.

Presents that are a surprise, presents that are handmade, gifts show some thought as to what I might like or need are, and always will be, very special.

The boy always gives me a jigsaw puzzle. I love jigsaw puzzles. Thanks to life happening, I'm behind on actually working them (which require tying up one end the dining room table for a couple of weeks), but I hope to catch up soon. Those gifts are a tradition and are special because he chose them. Also a tradition is the last piece, which I save for him to put in place.

Nancy said...

Susan, one of my fondest memories is of the boy's first birthday party. He wasn't into cake then so much as frosting, and he'd had his hands all in it. He was sitting in his high chair, one frosting-smeared hand dangling over the edge while he ate with the other. At his side, our golden retriever enthusiastically licked the frosting off the dangling hand. I loved that moment.

Louisa Cornell said...

Susan, YES !! We were actually sorely tempted to submit one of those "doll" cakes we are featuring at Wal-Mart now.

You know the petite cake that is shaped like the skirt of a ball gown and then the little doll figure is stuck on top to make the entire cake look like a lovely lady in a ball gown?

We work with two types of icing - buttercreme and whipped. The whipped icing is light and non-dairy. Someone ordered one of those lovely cakes in whipped icing. BIG MISTAKE !!

The icing had trouble keeping its shape. We ended up with a Barbie in a ball gown with a HUGE baby bump (say ten months along) AND a huge posterior!!

I cannot repeat some of the names we gave our poor misshapen Barbie doll and we did take pictures, but she never made it onto Cake Wrecks.

Needless to say, we called the customer and explained our dilemma and she agreed to have the cake done in buttercreme.

We have done some wedding cakes in color schemes that horrified us. WE thought the cakes were UGLY, but the brides loved them.

Teal green wedding cake for the bride? ENTIRELY TEAL GREEN?

Brown and pink bride's cake with polka dots?

And our very favorite? Brown, green and black camoflauge for the bride's cake? Shudder!

We do exactly what the bride asks for - even if we think it is HIDEOUS !!

catslady said...

Happy Birthday and a Hawaiian trip sound wonderful. I'm happy if I don't have to cook on my birthday (doesn't happen that often). My oldest daughter married two years ago and now she bakes me a cake (in fact she has taken over baking for all of our immediate family) so I'm thrilled.

PJ said...

Susan said: Hey, thanks, Virgo girl! When's your big day? We'll have to celebrate!

Sept. 20th

Donna MacMeans said...

Daz - Congratulations on the GR and the fabulous birthday celebration.

Happy Birthday Susan! I like cake - no doubt about it- esp. a really moist chocolate cake with gooey rich chocolate icing. However, there's usually so much left. One piece is fairly guilt-free, but the rest requires to much exercise to counterman.

I'm a box girl. The present inside the box is fine, but I really, really like the box - especially if it's special, like with sequins and stuff, so it's a keeper. I can always find a use for a pretty box. Guess I'm a cheap date (grin).

Donna MacMeans said...

Daz - Congratulations on the GR and the fabulous birthday celebration.

Happy Birthday Susan! I like cake - no doubt about it- esp. a really moist chocolate cake with gooey rich chocolate icing. However, there's usually so much left. One piece is fairly guilt-free, but the rest requires to much exercise to counterman.

I'm a box girl. The present inside the box is fine, but I really, really like the box - especially if it's special, like with sequins and stuff, so it's a keeper. I can always find a use for a pretty box. Guess I'm a cheap date (grin).

Pat Cochran said...

Hey, Susan,

Happy birthday from another Virgo
chick! Birthday greetings again to
the Virgo chick who wished you a
HB just a few comments back! BTW,
she and I share an August 24 b'day!
Honey, for my 29th b'day, announced
that I need never have another such
day! At the time, I thought that
was super! These days I no longer
mind people knowing my age. Last
Tuesday at 8 AM, the clock ticked
over into the beginning of my 74th
year on Earth! Bring on the cake
and ice cream!!!
74th birthday!

MsHellion said...

Happy Birthday!! And definitely be all about the cake--I'm all about the cake!! I'm glad you had a great anniversary trip and a great birthday! :)

flchen1 said...

Oy, Susan! 10 months?? *sigh* I'll have you know that Money, Honey's been sitting on my kitchen counter for the last week or so and I keep picking it up and rereading parts of it over and over again. I reeeeaaallly am looking forward to next June! :D

Christine Wells said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SMOOV!!

I'm a big fan of cake, too, but usually my dh takes me out to dinner for my birthday so I probably eat more dessert than actual cake.

Glad you had a great time in Hawaii!

Susan Sey said...

Nancy wrote: The boy always gives me a jigsaw puzzle. I love jigsaw puzzles. Thanks to life happening, I'm behind on actually working them (which require tying up one end the dining room table for a couple of weeks), but I hope to catch up soon. Those gifts are a tradition and are special because he chose them.

Ooooh, we love puzzles, too! Did you know you can have Snapfish (and similar places I'm sure) make a puzzle out of any picture you send? I had a puzzle made out of my first book cover. Cause I'm geeky like that. :)

Susan Sey said...

Nancy wrote: At his side, our golden retriever enthusiastically licked the frosting off the dangling hand. I loved that moment.

Ha! OMG, this is hilarious. I hope you have photos. :-)

Susan Sey said...

Louisa wrote: The icing had trouble keeping its shape. We ended up with a Barbie in a ball gown with a HUGE baby bump (say ten months along) AND a huge posterior!!


Oh good lord, Louisa! That's so funny! Poor Barbie. She's been through so much in the name of birthday celebrations. I'm glad you corrected the situation. :-)

Susan Sey said...

Catslady wrote: I'm happy if I don't have to cook on my birthday (doesn't happen that often). My oldest daughter married two years ago and now she bakes me a cake (in fact she has taken over baking for all of our immediate family) so I'm thrilled.

My daughters are both under 8, so I'm waiting for that fabulous day. But I'm not holding my breath.

But not cooking does sound pretty great.

Susan Sey said...

PJ wrote: Sept. 20th

All right! You're definitely in the birthday season--two of my sisters are Sept 11 & Sept 16. Happy upcoming day! May you enjoy cake!

Susan Sey said...

Donna wrote: I'm a box girl. The present inside the box is fine, but I really, really like the box - especially if it's special, like with sequins and stuff, so it's a keeper. I can always find a use for a pretty box. Guess I'm a cheap date (grin).

How funny! That's a new one on me--the box, huh? I'll bet people have fun with that one. I'll have to remember that...

Susan Sey said...

Pat Cochran wrote: These days I no longer
mind people knowing my age. Last
Tuesday at 8 AM, the clock ticked
over into the beginning of my 74th
year on Earth! Bring on the cake
and ice cream!!!
74th birthday!


Pat, I like how you roll. When I turn 74, I'm not sure I'll even feel the need to share my cake. I'll eat the whole darn thing myself. :-)

Happy belated birthday!

Susan Sey said...

flchen1 wrote: Oy, Susan! 10 months?? *sigh* I'll have you know that Money, Honey's been sitting on my kitchen counter for the last week or so and I keep picking it up and rereading parts of it over and over again. I reeeeaaallly am looking forward to next June! :D

Oh, man, really? You re-read?? I'm absolutely, insanely flattered by that. Thank you so much! I hope Money Shot is worth the wait--I did my best but you never know. I'll look forward to hearing what you think next summer!

Susan Sey said...

Ms Hellion wrote: Happy Birthday!! And definitely be all about the cake--I'm all about the cake!!

I am unashamedly about the cake. Not only did I eat my huge, honking piece, I batted clean up for my 3 yo. She's always good for a few extra bites. They're so distractable, three year olds. :-)

Susan Sey said...

Christine wrote: I'm a big fan of cake, too, but usually my dh takes me out to dinner for my birthday so I probably eat more dessert than actual cake.

Okay, there IS something to be said for going out to eat on your bday. Glad your wonderful husband understands how birthdays are supposed to work--no cooking, no child care and everybody gets the dessert of their choice.

It's a beautiful day.

flchen1 said...

Susan, I only reread when it's worth rereading, and Money, Honey is unquestionably :)

BTW, do you have any plans to tell Mara's story some day? Or any other characters? ;) (Can you see my love for a series? ;))