I've long been fascinated with dreams. Here are some interesting facts you may not know:̊
- Nearly six years of your lifetime will be spent dreaming.̊
- Your brain waves are just as active when you're dreaming as they are when you're awake.̊
- Dreaming takes place in the R.E.M.—Rapid Eye Movement—stage of sleep.̊
- Scientific studies have proven that animals dream.̊
- Elephants, in fact, sleep standing up when they're in non-REM sleep. When they're in REM sleep, they lie down.̊
- Mrs. Maureen Weston participated in a rocking chair marathon in 1977 and still holds the longest recorded period for going without sleep--449 hours (18 days, 17 hours). She suffered hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.
A lot of people think dreams are just a way for our brain to purge the day's happenings. The images we see as we sleep are nothing more than nonsensical remnants of the things we came into contact with.
Other people believe our dreams are detailed truths and if we take the time to study them, interpret them, we'll discover hidden meanings in our mind's late night movies. Freud, the pioneer of dream interpretation, believed our dreams were symbolic of our deepest wishes.
Another common belief is that our subconscious is merely working through issues and trying to alleviate stress.
However, throughout history dreams have been given much more weight as they were often viewed as prophecies.
Still others believe that power can be found in our dreams. During our sleeping hours our mind is not restricted, our thoughts are boundless, and our brain can expand beyond its physical shell. Unimaginable things can be attained when we're not shackled by logic.
And some believe we can control our dreams, manipulate them and even use them as a tool for bettering ourselves and our lives.
As for me, I tend to believe dreams can be all the above, but the one thing that most fascinated me was that old wives tale, "If you die in your sleep, you'll die for real."Is that possible?
SLEEPLESS is about Trinity Michael's, an eighteen-year-old dreamwalker who's being stalked in her sleep by a killer. If she dies in her dreams, she'll die for real. In order to survive, she must stay awake and find her would be murderer before he can find her and the only person able to help her is the last person she thought she'd ever align herself with.
I guess the answer, for me, was yes....
So, what do you dream about?