Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Timeless Allure of Knights

posted by Nancy

Gerri Russell returns to the Lair to celebrate the second release in her Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars series, Seducing the Knight. Gerri and I were emailing back and forth about knightly heroes and their ongoing appeal, and we thought that might be a good topic for a blog post. So Gerri's going to share her thoughts about the attraction of knights, and then we'll all chat about that in the comments. Just FYI Romantic Times Book Reviews called Seducing the Knight “an Indiana-Jones-meets-Lara-Croft tale.” Having read it, I can attest that it is that, but it's also fast-paced and full of romance and chivalry, not to mention heat that has nothing to do with the desert.

Welcome, Gerri!

When most contemporary people hear the words knight, they think of a medieval knight in shining armor riding a large white horse. They imagine the knight bravely wielding his sword or lance in defense of a damsel in distress, or courageously charging forth to glory and honor on the field of battle. Or perhaps the image of a crusading knight comes to mind, with his armor glimmering in the sun and banners waving as he rides for a mighty castle in the distance.

Whatever your perception of a knight is, it no doubt includes chivalry, integrity and honor, as well as the romantic quest involving excitement and adventure. At least it does for me. But I started to wonder why? Where did I get my perception of what a knight is, and what about knights makes me think of them as the romantic ideal?

Perhaps it was from all the books I’ve read over the years, the classics such as Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Knight’s Tale, Miguel de Cervantes’ Don Quixote, Sir Thomas Malory’s Le Morte d’Arthur, TH White’s The Once a Future King, and Pearl Poet’s Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, to name a few. Or was it the modern tales of knighthood such as Jude Deveraux’s A Knight in Shining Armor, Lynn Kurland’s The Very Thought of You, Alexis Morgan’s Dark Protector, and Mary Stewart’s The Crystal Cave.

For me, a knight is the whole package—a dedicated warrior, a gentleman, someone who will do whatever it takes to protect his hearth and kin, all while wrapped up in steel.

Really, does it get any better than that? My own infatuation with knights is what led me to create the Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars series. The second book in the series came out last week. Seducing the Knight features a knight, Sir Alan Cathcart, on a mission from King Robert Bruce of Scotland to find the Ark of the Covenant in the Holy Land and bring it back to Scotland for protection from those who would use it for evil purposes. Joining Alan on his quest is a Moorish princess who was born to fulfill her own prophecy surrounding the famous ark.


Nancy asked me to include an excerpt, so I hope you’ll enjoy reading a snippet from the book where our hero, Alan, and heroine Jessamine search for the Ark of the Covenant in the city of Petra:

“Come, let’s have a look inside.”

Jessamine curled her fingers around Alan’s. She’d never held hands with anyone before. The courtiers weren’t allowed to touch her. For one breathless moment his smoldering gaze studied her feature by feature, then he gave her hand a squeeze and led them through the entrance that rose some twenty feet high overhead.

With a sense of awe, Jessamine followed Alan into the ornate structure. Inside, the air was still and cold, a stark contrast to the suffocating heat outside. Golden light from the lantern splashed the nutmeg-colored walls, illuminating a colossal doorway that dominated the outer court and led to an inner chamber. Alan led her up the seven stairs and into what she could only guess was some sort of sanctuary, if the ablution basin was a clue.

“Where do we go now?” she asked. There were two passageways off to the left and right sides of the room.

“Let’s start here.” He led her to the passageway on the right. When they hit a wall of stone, they retraced their steps and instead took the passageway off to the left.

They entered a large, empty space that looked almost identical to the one they’d just explored. But as Jessamine searched the empty space, a strong sense of premonition made her skin tingle. There was something different here. She stared at the only other doorway carved into the stone. The answers they sought were in there. She knew it.

Alan appeared by her side. “Ready to explore?” he asked, stepping inside.

Jessamine followed. They headed down another passageway that seemed to go on forever, until finally it opened into another empty chamber. This room was different from the others they’d passed through. It was carved out of the stone like the others, yet these walls were uneven and, from the looks of it, carved in haste.

Then she saw it—a small pinprick of light emanating from a tall, narrow crack in the wall at the back of the chamber.

“Alan?” Jessamine breathed.

“I see it,” he said, moving past her to explore the human-sized opening. He held the lantern into the space. “It’s unfinished,” he said, bringing his free hand up to caress the poorly sculpted rock at his eye level.

“Perhaps they grew tired of chipping away the stone,” Jessamine offered.

“Or perhaps they wanted it to appear unfinished for a reason. We need to go inside.” Alan offered her his hand.

She took his fingers in hers and allowed him to guide her into the dark void. Her heart raced and her palms grew damp. The space was narrow and confining, forcing them to turn to the side to slip through the rock.

Jessamine’s breath quickened as she and Alan moved deeper and deeper into the ever-narrowing space. The wall at her back was cold. The wall at her front nearly brushed against her chest. She clung to Alan’s hand and kept moving. “If we find the ark in this place, how will we ever get it out? The walls are too narrow.”

“Somehow it was brought in, so there must be a way to get it out,” he replied with confidence.

Together, they felt their way along the cool, gritty sandstone wall. The lantern cast eerie shadows that twisted and danced with each step they took. The shuffling of their footsteps mingled with the quickened rush of their breathing. The darkness seemed to seep around them, outside the circle of light cast by the lantern. Alan’s hand became her lifeline.

Cold dampness seeped into her clothes. Jessamine shivered. Her breath caught. She shuffled forward. “How much farther?” she whispered into the confined and darkened space.

No sooner had the words left her lips than the passageway opened up, spilling into a small chamber. The light from the lantern splashed across the walls, painting everything in hues of coppery gold. The room was empty, just as the others had been, except tucked high into the back wall was a shelf cut into the stone. It held a small golden chest that was much too small to be the ark.

Alan released her. He pressed the lantern into her hands and moved slowly across the chamber until he stood before the chest. He reached up and carefully removed it from the rock ledge.

“What is it?” Jessamine asked.

Alan turned toward her and bent, setting the small chest on the floor. “I’m not certain.” He blew the dust and sand away from the lid. No ornamentation decorated the chest. “Bring the light closer.”

She stepped beside him as he carefully lifted the lid from the chest. Inside were twelve formed and polished colored stones.

“What do they mean?” She set the lantern on the floor beside them.

With a grin, he sat back on his heels and pulled the leather book from the folds of his robe. She moved to peer over his shoulder as he flipped the loose pages. When he came to a drawing of what appeared to be a ceremonial garment, he stopped.

“What is that?” she asked. “How does it relate to what we found?”

“These stones might not be the Ark of the Covenant, but they are a worthy find in and of themselves.” He lifted his gaze to hers. Excitement brightened his eyes. “These twelve stones are what were referred to in the Old Testament as the stones of fire. They represent the twelve tribes of Israel and were at one time set into the breastplate of the high priest. That high priest would have worn the breastplate to control the divine fire that was said to emanate from the ark.”

“So whoever controls the stones of fire controls the ark?” Jessamine cupped her hands over his. A spark passed between them at the intimate contact. It brought a soft gasp to her lips. She should pull her hands away, stand, anything to break the contact between them. Instead, she gazed into his piercing blue eyes and felt a strange lightness at her core.

“Aye,” he said softly. “But suddenly it’s not the ark or the stones that interest me, but something else entirely.” He abandoned the chest on the ground and stood, pulling her up with him until they faced each other, their bodies only a hairbreadth apart.
“Jessamine. We are entering dangerous territory.” The words seemed dredged up from his very soul as he pulled her even closer, his gaze on her lips.

She knew he didn’t mean the dangers of following the prophecy, but the dangerous way desire flared each time they touched.


Knights and action-adventure themes lend themselves to creating awesome book trailers. Check out the trailer made for me by the fabulous April Rickard at DewPoint Studios.



I hope you’ve enjoyed this sneak peek inside Seducing the Knight as much as I’ve enjoyed sharing it with you.

So what about it, do knights hold the same appeal for you as they do me? If so what are your favorite knights? Do you feel you heart quicken at the thought of those Templar Knights like I do, or is there another knight in fiction or in film that weakens your knees? I'm giving a copy of Seducing the Knight to one commenter today.

If you're in the area, join Gerri at her launch party tonight, May 6, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Sweet Decadence Chocolates in Newcastle, WA. Check the events page on Gerri's website for more details.

84 comments:

Laurie Logan said...

The Templar Knights are the stuff of romance. I'm fascinated with the whole story.

Congratulations, Gerri, on the release of Seducing the Knight! The book sounds delicious!

Blodeuedd said...

I like knights, I haev ever seen I first saw Ivanhoe *sighs*
And then there was Kingdom of Heaven, oh the knights :D

Congrats on the release!

Jane said...

Congrats on the new release, Gerri. I've always associated chivalry and other romantic notions with knights. I think Galahad is my favorite and I've also enjoyed Margaret Mallory's knights in her All the King's Men series.

Helen said...

Congrats Laurie have fun with him

Whoo Hoo Gerri this book sounds excellent I love stories about Knights especially Templar Knights I read a really good series years ago by Mary Reed McCall about the Templar Knights and I loved it. They really turn my legs to jelly.
I have a couple of your books on the TBR pile Gerri and I really need to move them up the pile.

Congrats on the release Gerri

Have Fun
Helen

Laurie G said...

I loved Heath Ledger in Knight's Tale.

Camelot is one of my favorite musicals with the Knights of the Round Table and their motto "fight for right, not might." The Knight Sir Lancelot gave up a lot when he fell in love with Queen Guinievere.

Favorite "real" knights: Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Sean Connery

Deb said...

Ooh, Gerri! I have been reading about your new book and it sounds so good! Thanks for the excerpt because it has added to the desire to go get your book.

I remember seeing the movie "Ivanhoe" when I was in Jr. High and "Camelot" was also wonderful to watch. But, I do enjoy reading about knights and quests of honor and passion for what they believe in.

gamistress66 said...

Gotta love knights. I think from the time we're little and just listening to fairytales we get taught knights can be ideal heros -- chivelry, strength, strong sense of right and duty. And don't forget defeating fire breathing dragons and nasty witches/warlocks. What's not to love. :)

Congrats on the new book. Sounds great.

Barbara Monajem said...

LOL. Laurie, I agree with you on the fave "real" knights.

I'm a fan of knights, but not all the armor. It sounds hot and uncomfortable, not to mention noisy. I just can't help but hear all these rustles and clanks!

Just kidding. When I'm reading a good knight story, I'm wrapped up in the excitement and completely forget that *he's* wrapped up in steel. Looks like the cover artist decided to dispense with armor too, and your knight is very hunky. Congrats, Gerri!

Nancy said...

Hi, Laurie--I think Templars and other knightly orders are fascinating, too. Plus you get sword fights when they're romance heroes. *g*

Congrats on the Golden Rooster. I hope you'll keep him very busy.

Nancy said...

Blodeuedd, what was the first Ivanhoe you saw? I remember Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe on TV, a rerun of the old movie, and then there was Anthony Andrews in the 1980s.

After Brideshead Revisited, Andrews made several TV movies, including Ivanhoe (and I seem to remember Olivia Hussey as Rebecca--might need to check that on IMDB) and The Scarlet Pimpernel, with Ian McKellan wonderful as Chauvelin.

Nancy said...

Jane, I think I fell in with the whole knightly chivalry concept with King Arthur, though I don't remember my first exposure to the Arthurian legend. I got a kid's version of the story for Christmas (along with one of The Iliad) in second or third grade. That was about the time I saw "When Knighthood Was in Flower" on Disney and it sucked me into what's become a lifelong interest in medieval England (though that show was, technically, Renaissance, not medieval).

One of the boy's favorite souvenirs from our trip to England 10 years ago was a copy of Sir Gawain and The Green Knight we bought at Glastonbury Abbey and I read aloud to him as we drove, passing the book back every page so he could see the pictures. He was big into knights at the time.

Nancy said...

Hi, Helen--Jelly knees, huh? *g* Love the phrase! That might have to be a new standard for wowing the reader.

Yes, you should move those books up the pile. They're fabulous!

Nancy said...

Laurie, I agree about A Knight's Tale. Wonderful movie even if took lots of period liberties. Heath Ledger was also fabulous as The Joker--much scarier, imho, than Jack Nicholson's earlier version--though I've never watched the movie straight through since it's too dark for me.

Camelot is one of my favorite musicals, too. I love the music! I'd listened to it several times, and seen the movie in the theater and on TV, before I realized Guinevere eventually got all the "Simple Joys of Maidenhood" she mourned in the first act, but at the cost of Camelot itself, and that all the virtues Lancelot boastfully claims in "C'Est Moi" go by the wayside when he falls in love with Guinevere.

And I love Arthur's speech at the end, the one to Pellinore, about all us being tiny drops of water in an endless sea, but some of the drops sparkle. Wonderful stuff!

Nancy said...

Hi, Deb--I loved Ivanhoe and Camelot, too. In the Anthony Andrews version of Ivanhoe, Rebecca seemed far more vital and interesting to me than Rowena, Ivanhoe's betrothed. I've never read the book and wonder if that's Scott's intention or a more modern interpretation.

Nancy said...

Gamistress66, I think all those things you mentioned, chivalry, strength, and especially might for right, are what draws me into stories of knights and honor.

I wish medievals had a bigger market share so there'd be more of them. I really love them.

EilisFlynn said...

Congratulations on your latest, Gerri! Looks great!

Nancy said...

Barbara wrote: When I'm reading a good knight story, I'm wrapped up in the excitement and completely forget that *he's* wrapped up in steel.

LOL! So true.

When I was active in the Richard III Society, I went to the Annual General Meeting one year. The after-dinner entertainment at the banquet was the arming of a knightly re-enactor. He had full armor, custom-made for him, and they put it on him a piece at a time, explaining as they went.

And they passed the mail coif around so we could all see how much it weighed.

What a fabulously way cool geeky evening it was. I loved it!

Nancy said...

Hi, Eilis--Thanks for stopping by!

Louisa Cornell said...

Laurie got the GR !! Make him behave!

Gerri I LOVE this series! Fascinating, sexy and so romantic.

I think I must have loved knights from the moment I read Ivanhoe. Just the idea of chivalry, honor, strength and a sacred vow to protect those weaker than themselves. What's not to love?

Loved Richard Gere in First Knight. And Kingdom of Heaven, sigh!

Excalibur was one of the first big movies with a sense of realism as far as the historical tale of King Arthur.

I was lucky enough to visit Warwick Castle when I was twelve. There was an authentic jousting tournament (well except for the ambulances parked in the parking lot.) I can still remember those magnificent horses, HUGE, and the sound of them thundering toward each other. The sound of lances cracking and the metallic clang when the men were unhorsed. It was SO COOL !!

gamistress66 said...

I agree it would be nice to have more midieval romances out there -- they're one of my fave periods. Perhaps books such as yours will help generate the interest/market once again it its favor so our wish can come true.

Nancy said...

Louisa, Excalibur is often overlooked when people talk about Arthurian films, and I thought it was wonderful. Heart-wrenching but wonderful. Very atmospheric.

Ambulances in the parking lot of the joust, huh? How very anachronistic. *g* But a wise precaution, I'm sure.

The boy loves Warwick Castle. When he was little and in his knights phase, he picked that guidebook out of the stack as "his" castle, and he hugely enjoyed our visit there.

Nancy said...

Gamistress66, maybe we need a blockbuster medieval movie to reinvigorate that market segment. I wonder if Russell Crowe's upcoming Robin Hood will help? The trailer shows Cate Blanchett in armor.

Speaking of armor, Iron Man 2 comes out this weekend. You could make a case that super-heroes are the modern equivalent of knights. Well, I could argue it. :-)

Nancy said...

Two of my favorite medieval series come from authors who've left that market, Christina Dodd and Madeline Hunter.

Candle in the Window and Once a Knight are my two favorite Dodd medievals. The Protector and By Arrangement are probably my two favorite medievals by Hunter.

I love Gerri's knights, and I have a special soft spot for Ian and Scotia in her first book, The Warrior Trainer.

Gerri Russell said...

Good morning everyone! First off, thank you so much Nancy for hosting me on the Romance Bandits today! Thank you to all the other banditas for welcoming me back to the lair. You are all such fun!

Gerri Russell said...

Laurie, I agree with you about Templars. I always felt they got a bad rap in history. The king of France wanted their money. He tried to take it...without success. :-)

Gerri Russell said...

Blodeuedd, Hollywood does knights well. Most often they even get the costuming right.

Gerri Russell said...

Jane, Galahad is a favorite of mine as well. Thanks for visiting today!

Gerri Russell said...

Helen, SEDUCING's cover is from the same photo shoot as Mary Reed McCalls (But of course, as is the current trend, my hero has no head.)

Gerri Russell said...

Laurie, Knight's Tale is one of my favorites, too. Still hard to believe Heath Ledger is gone. I haven't watched that movie since his death. I'm afraid I'd be too sad.

Gerri Russell said...

Deb, I truly think you hit on the heart of the matter--knights were willing to die for what they believed in whether it was their king, their quest, or as in romantic fiction, their love.

Gerri Russell said...

Gamistress66, So true about dragons. Just curious, have you been watching the new series "Merlin" on the SyFy channel? They are totally destroying the "Camelot" myth, but the series is entertaining with a dragon to boot!

Gerri Russell said...

Barbara, For me armor is the equivalent of a modern day tuxedo. What man doesn't look, well manly, in armor?

Nancy said...

Gerri, I've watched Merlin a couple of times. Not loving it, I'm afraid. Maybe it's too far from the myth for me.

gamistress66 said...

Gerri -- The first I saw was last Friday so really haven't had a chance to decide if I like it or not. The troll was pretty ugly, can't wait to see the dragon. It definately is not the musical Camalot version of the myth.

Nancy -- Russell Crowe as midieval knight -- yummmm. With that picture in my head, not much work is going to get done for a while. Think I'll just go daydream ;)

Nancy said...

Gamistress66, I'm not sure Crowe actually wears armor. I guess we'll see. :-)

Gerri Russell said...

Eilis, Thanks for stopping by!

Gerri Russell said...

Louisa, Glad to hear they had ambulances at the joust at Warwick. They are ~really~ jousting and it can be very dangerous if a blow lands wrong. I was at a joust once and one of the knights took a blow in the helm. They had to cut it off him and his face was bruised and bloody. And that was with two knights being careful!

Gerri Russell said...

Nancy, I absolutely agree that Iron Man draws on the same allure as the medieval knight. He is a fully armored (high-tech) knight. Can't wait to see the movie.

Gannon Carr said...

Hi, Gerri! I love knights, a good medieval romance...the whole fantastically sexy package!

My favorite knight: Clive Owen as King Arthur! Yummmmmmmy! I've always loved Camelot as well--wonderful cast, great music, Franco Nero's blue eyes... *g*

I must add A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger. It's one of my faves--I can watch it over and over.

I will definitely be reading your series. :-)

Hellie Sinclair said...

My own infatuation with knights is what led me to create the Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars series. The second book in the series came out last week. Seducing the Knight features a knight, Sir Alan Cathcart, on a mission from King Robert Bruce of Scotland to find the Ark of the Covenant in the Holy Land and bring it back to Scotland for protection from those who would use it for evil purposes.

HOLY CADBURY EGGS! SCOTTISH Knights? SCOTTISH Knight TEMPLARS? Sign my ass up!

King Robert the Bruce? *squealing like a fan girl*

This series sounds freaking awesome!! (I haven't read a knight story in some time, but a lot of the knight stories I've seen lately are in the 14 or 1500s it seems, and that's not an era that interests me as much...) But this is just after William Wallace and the Scotland wins their freedom...so this is perfect!

Hellie Sinclair said...

The knight who weakens my knees is Sir William Wallace--so Braveheart is my favorite movie--though I don't turn off A Knight's Tale when I see it. *LOL*

And I read a historical novel/romance called The Greatest Knight, which was about Sir William Marshal. Amazing book. Loved it.

Gannon Carr said...

HOLY CADBURY EGGS! SCOTTISH Knights? SCOTTISH Knight TEMPLARS? Sign my ass up!

LOL @ Hellion! Sounds pretty darn perfect, doesn't it?? :-)

Nancy said...

Gannon, Clive pretty much rocked as Arthur. Not as much armor in that version, though the swordplay was great.

Speaking of Franco Nero's eyes, do you remember his opening shot, as the camera panned up the side of Joyous Garde past his, er, feet to his face?

Nancy said...

Ms.Hellion, I can assure you, this series _is_ "freakin' awesome!"

If you like historical fiction with knights, check out Sharon Kay Penman's books. She has a series iof medieval mysteries (hero is not a knight, though) and has written historical novels about William Marshal, Henry II & Eleanor, and others. There's some romance in them, but they're not romances.

Gerri Russell said...

Gannon, I am with you...Clive Owen is perfect as a knight. I love his intensity, and well, other parts of him as well. :-) Thanks for stopping by the lair!

Gerri Russell said...

HOLY CADBURY EGGS! SCOTTISH Knights? SCOTTISH Knight TEMPLARS? Sign my ass up!

MsHellion, You made my day! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. I absolutely love the 13 and 14th century as well, but not everyone does. I had a woman at a signing a couple of weeks ago tell me she absolutely doesn't read anything that isn't from 1720 or later.

Still trying to figure out the reasoning behind 1720.

Nancy said...

Gerri, according to historyorb.dom, the first paste-style mustard went on the market in 1720.

Queen Anne died in 1714, so it can't be that.

You didn't ask "why 1720?" Now that's going to nag at me. *sigh*

Nancy said...

Uh, that's historyorb.COM. Urk!

Gerri Russell said...

Nancy, I'm sure it was because of the paste-mustard. Such an important detail in history. No, I didn't ask why. People like what they like. Sometimes there is no reasoning.

But I do like the mustard idea. :-)

catslady said...

I love them all - really. I probably have more than a hundred books with Knight in the title and I've enjoyed each and every one of them lol. The chivalry and swordplay lol.

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hi Gerri! Welcome to the Lair!!! THis sounds SO fabulous. I'm with Blodeuedd on having been in love with knights since Ivanhoe....and Lancelot...and Monty Python. Snork.

I adore the Templar mysteries too, so this is fabulous.

I'm just popping in, now I'm off to that writing cave Christine Wells was mentioning in her Launch post the other day. (not quiet or quite as abandoned as she made it seem, however...naughty girl!)

Have a great day in the Lair and WOOT on the new release!!!

Oh, and Laurie, make that Golden Rooster WORK for you today. Lazy cad...

Nancy said...

Gerri wrote: People like what they like. Sometimes there is no reasoning.

Oh, I wouldn't suggest arguing. I'd just want to know. 1720 isn't a year that just leaps out, y'know?

Judith said...

Gerri, congratulations on your release! I can't wait to get a copy at your launch party tonight. I think my introduction to knights was in the 8th grade when the English teacher assigned Ivanhoe and Men of Iron. I loved Ivanhoe--and that was around the time the Robert Taylor movie came out, so I saw and adored that. Unfortunately, can't remember a thing about Men of Iron! About Rebecca--I haven't seen the more recent version of Ivanhoe, but in the 50s one Rebecca was played by Elizabeth Taylor and Rowena by Joan Fontaine--a lovely woman and good actress, but who can compete with Elizabeth Taylor, probably one of the most beautiful women of all time? Of course, it was the other Taylor, Robert, I was primarily interested in! I later saw him in Knights of the Round Table also. I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned about the appeal of knights is the sacrifice--their willingness to die for their lady. What could be more romantic?

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Gerri!

Loved the trailer. This book definitely looks hot.

I don't think I first got my impression of knights from books - though they certainly reinforced it. I think knights were protrayed with honor and chivary in the old B&W movies that ran on TV when I was young. Then there was Camelot, the musical - which was all the rage in my formative years.

I would love to see more medieval books on the stands. Glad to see you're leading the charge!

Gerri Russell said...

Catslady, I so appreciate readers like you! Thank you for loving "knight" books.

Nancy said...

Hi, Judith--I think Olivia Hussey might've been Rebecca in the 1980s made-for-TV Ivanhoe. She was gorgeous. And I agree, who can complete with Elizabeth Taylor?

Nancy said...

Donna, there must be legions of those old movies in vaults somewhere. Every Sunday afternoon, there was an old movie on TV, and a lot of them were about knights and battles.

Gerri Russell said...

Karyn, My husband (my true knight in shining armor) has a very wonderful sword collection. Sometimes if I'm having a hard time working out a fight scene, I'll go get one of them and work through the fighting in the living room...with the shutters closed of course. Don't want the neighbors getting the wrong idea. :-)

FYI-Swords are heavy when you use them for any length of time (ie in battle). Men (and women) had to be very strong to wield them effectively!

Gerri Russell said...

Jeanne, Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. Here's to some very productive time in the "cave".

Nancy said...

Jeanne, good luck in the cave!

Gannon Carr said...

Speaking of Franco Nero's eyes, do you remember his opening shot, as the camera panned up the side of Joyous Garde past his, er, feet to his face?

Oh, yes I do, Nancy!!

Gerri Russell said...

Judith, Thank you so much for stopping by! Can't wait to see you tonight. You are so right...the best kind of men are those who are willing to put their lives on the line for others (especially the heroine).

I am so grateful for our military men and women who live by these same standards--honor and duty and selflessness. They are the true modern-day knights.

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, Gerri, great to see you back! Love the look of the new book and that trailer is spectacular!

Gerri Russell said...

Donna, I am right there with you. I wish the market for medievals was stronger than it is. But no matter the market, there are always medievals to be found somewhere.

I think Nancy had it right when she said it would take a big blockbuster movie to shake things up a bit. I'm hoping Russell Crowe and Robinhood helps. Certainly can't hurt! :-)

Theresa N. said...

The Templar Knights are the BEST! The name says it all romance, adventure, mystery...
Theresa N
weceno(at)yahoo(dot)com

Nancy said...

Y'know, Gannon, I didn't notice that shot when I saw that movie as a young teenager, only as an adult.

One of my favorite moments in that movie is right after Lancelot heals the knight he's downed in the joust, and his eyes meet Guinevere's, and the future is written in the look between them.

Nancy said...

Gerri, our military men and women also are armored.

Nancy said...

Teresa, thanks for stopping by today!

Gerri Russell said...

Hi Anna, I love the cover of your new book! Thanks of popping in!

Gerri Russell said...

Theresa, I couldn't agree with you more. There is just something about Templars...however, that said, this series was incredibly difficult to write from the one standpoint that all Templars take vows of celibacy. Yet these are romance books. Finding new ways for these Templars to "decide" to turn away from their vows was a challenge.

Jacquie Rogers said...

I love the whole aura of romance, machismo, and intrigue that surrounds the legend of the knights. I think this is also why I'm also fascinated with the loner in the Old West. Very similar, in that they have a code that they live by no matter what the odds. Honor is something that is a forgotten commodity as time goes on. But it lives in your books, and for that, I'm grateful.

Nancy said...

Gerri wrote: Finding new ways for these Templars to "decide" to turn away from their vows was a challenge.

I think you managed nicely. :-)

Nancy said...

"Honor, machismo and intrigue," huh, Jacquie? A great description!

I agree that you find some of the same traits in westerns. I always recommend High Noon to my students, who look blank at the mention of Gary Cooper. *sigh*

Gerri Russell said...

Jacquie, You are so very sweet! Thank you for your kind words. Honor in a hero is very important. And you're right. There are a lot of similarities with medievals and westerns. Both were tough and troubled times where people had to forge their own paths toward hope and security and prosperity.

Gerri Russell said...

Hi, all,

I need to check out for a while in order to attend my "Seducing the Knight Launch party". I'm heading over to Sweet Decadence Chocolates for a wine and chocolate pairing. Wish you all could come with me, but I'll report back here when I get home about how it went. You'll be the first to know!

Until then, just remember what a good friend I am for consuming chocolate and wine calories just for you!

Nancy said...

Gerri, bring us back some chocolate!

Gannon Carr said...

Wine and chocolate....two of my favorite food groups!!

Nancy said...

Gannon wrote: Wine and chocolate....two of my favorite food groups!!

It's too bad we can't go to the party. At one of Gerri's launch parties, she had actual knight re-enactors come demonstrate swordplay. Wish I could've seen that one!

Gannon Carr said...

It's too bad we can't go to the party. At one of Gerri's launch parties, she had actual knight re-enactors come demonstrate swordplay.

Sounds like some party!!

Lady_Graeye said...

Congrats on your new release! My favorite knights are Heath Ledger from The Knight's Tale, Richard Gere as Lancelot and Sean Conary as Author. I love knights and everything they stand for; they are totally cool!

Nancy said...

Lady Gra_eye, those are all fabulous knights! Gerri will be back in the Lair for a little while after her party.

Gerri Russell said...

Lady Graeye, Fabulous knights! Sean Connery and Richard Gere are both iconic in their roles as knights. Do you remember ~that~ kiss in First Knight?

Gerri Russell said...

Hi, all, Back from the party. It was wonderful fun. I signed books for three hours straight. :-) The wine was delicious paired with the chocolates. For future reference to try on your own here were some of the pairings.

Riesling with a peanut butter-type truffle dipped in white chocolate.

Cabernet Franc with a Raspberry truffle.

Syrah with a Blackberry truffle.

Late Harvest Gewurztraminer with a salted carmel.

All very delicious!

Gerri Russell said...

It's been a wonderful day here in the lair with you all. Thank you so much Nancy for inviting me, and thank you to everyone who visited. I have so enjoyed spending this time with you all.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

--Gerri