Saturday, June 2, 2007

Evidently, I don't speak Pirate.....

I finally went tonight and saw "Pirates of the Caribbean 3".

At the risk of causing a collective GASP from our resident Bandita POC3 experts....I spent the first half of the movie going "huh" a lot.

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't have an ear for "pirate" (Though I do for Irish accents). And the voodoo queen? Forget it. And because of that, I just couldn't keep straight what they were saying and doing. (I did however understand the monkey :-0 ) The motivations were not entirely clear, the characters seemed to interact without purpose. I did find I liked Captain Barbarossa a lot more. Maybe I was just intoxicated by the butter on my popcorn.

It wasn't until a key battle scene that it started to fall into place. And yes, I have to admit Mr. Bloom DID look sexier than he ever has in my book. And glad you gals told me to wait for the extra scene. It made me go "Ohhhhhh..."

Now to avoid blood shed....Parley?

:-)

Joan

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well darn, Joan. I haven't seen it yet but I always have trouble understanding dialects. I had trouble with the voodoo lady in POTC 2 and she didn't have a very big part. I guess that just means I'll have to see it in the theater and then buy the movie to watch over and over until I understand it.

Joan said...

Well Christine, at least you know ahead of time and can lean forward and watch their lips....

I swear ya'll I'm not usually this dense.....

I was probably suffering from Weight Watcher guilt eating a MEDIUM popcorn LOL

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Joan,

I went with a friend who had trouble hearing the dialogue from all the fight and cannon noise. She'll rent the movie and watch it later to catch all she missed, or I didn't interpret for her.

Suz

Caren Crane said...

I wish my husband had seen it with me. He is terrible with accents so he would have been a good judge of the understandability. I have no trouble with accents, whether foreign or induced by speech or hearing impediments or handicaps, etc. Whenever someone hard-to-understand pops up, people look to me to interpret.*g* That said, I had trouble with one line that Calypso said. I still have no idea what she said on that one. I suppose I'll be going along with Christie to the movies again and again!

hrdwrkdmom aka Dianna said...

Well I am one of the unlucky ones that wasn't advised to stay to the very, very end so I missed something for sure. I didn't miss much of the dialog in the movie but there were a couple of lines that I am going to have to pick up when it is rentable. My son has a speech impediment so I am usually pretty good with listening close but the fights and cannon roar did slow my senses somewhat. I don't suppose anyone would want to email me and tell me what I missed at the end???

Trish Milburn said...

hrdwrkdmom, if you post your address, I'll e-mail you with the tidbit you missed.

And Joan, GASP! I know what you mean about some of the dialogue, but I keep fighting the impulse to go see it again.I just re-watched Pirates 1 again tonight because it was on TV. And I admit to watching fan vids on YouTube for Will and Elizabeth. :) Here's my current favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rSK-n8L4oo

hrdwrkdmom aka Dianna said...

Oh thank you Trish, that would be hrdwrkdmom@suddenlink.net

We have one and two on dvd so it will just be a case of waiting for 3. My son loves Captain Jack and has already committed most of the first two to memory.

Tawny said...

Listen?

Dialogue?

Huh?

Don't you just go to watch and drool over the hotties, Captain Jack and Will Sparrow????

*shaking my head in confusion*