by Anna Sugden
… or Smarties … or Licorice Allsorts … or Jelly Babies … or M&M’s … or Jelly Beans … well, you get the picture. How do you eat anything in a pack of assorted sweeties?
For those of you wondering what some of the above-mentioned delights are:
Smarties are like M&M’s but with nicer chocolate. And they’re bigger too.
Licorice Allsorts (lovely hubby’s favourite - see right) are literally all sorts of licorice candies in different shapes and colours.
And … Dolly Mixture? The best little penny bag of assorted sweets you can get (although I understand these days they’re hard to find). Made of sugar, and probably all kinds of unhealthy stuff, there are striped ones, soft ones, hard ones, jelly ones … a veritable plethora of delights. (see below)
Why would there be a special way of eating them? Well, for some of us - it’s not just a simple matter of dipping in, grabbing the first sweet and chomping merrily away.
There is a process to be followed. Now, admittedly, I thought I was alone in this little foible. But, several discussions with friends have shown that there are others … many with routines far more elaborate than mine!
So, what’s my process?
Are you sitting comfortably? Then, I’ll begin.
1. Empty the bag or box onto a plate/desk-top/table/magazine or other handy flat surface.
2. Sorting. Separate out the different kinds of sweets into piles of the same kind.
3. Eat any spares or odd ones.
4. Count out the number of sweets in a pile. If there is an even number, you’re good to go. If not, eat the odd numbered sweet!
5. Split each pile into two - one half goes back in the bag or box for later.
6. Now, for the eating. Try to get each pile to be the same size by eating any superfluous sweets.
7. Finally you’re left with nice round numbers of sweets, in balanced piles.
Now, the only way left to eat them is one from each pile!
Let me know I’m not alone in my weirdness! When faced with a bag or box of assorted sweets - how do you eat yours? And what is/are your favourite sweets? Two lucky commenters will win a bag of Dolly Mixtures!