Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Many Worlds of Dee Davis

interview by Nancy Northcott

Dee Davis joins us in the lair today. Dee is the author of fifteen novels and three novellas and has made a name for herself writing time travels and romantic suspense. She has won the Booksellers Best, Golden Leaf, Texas Gold and Prism awards, and she's been nominated for the National Readers Choice Award, the Holt, two RT Reviewers Choice Awards, and an RT Career Achievement Award. Last year, she published her first romantic comedy, A Match Made on Madison. A sequel, Set-Up in SoHo, is due out later this year. And her newest romantic suspense series will begin in 2009. Welcome, Dee!

Tell us how you became interested in writing.

I’ve always written, pretty much from the first time I had a blank page in front of me and the power to wield a pencil. I always talked about writing a book, but I never seriously considered doing it until I had a sort of mid-life crisis just before I turned 40 and realized that if I wanted to write – it needed to be now.

We have tremendous interest in call stories in the lair. Would you like to share yours?

Well first off, I have to say that I had a very Cinderella beginning. I wrote my first book Everything In Its Time in 1998. Got an agent six months after finishing and sold the book seven months after that. EIT was published in June 2000. So much about this business has to do with right thing, right time.

As far as the call itself is concerned. I was actually asleep. And was so excited by the news that I hung up on my agent before I realized that I had no idea who I’d actually sold the book too. Had to call her back to find out for sure. And then I spent the rest of the day literally shaking with amazement and excitement (and running around screaming like an absolute loon). Here I was on the verge of reinventing myself at almost forty. It was, and still is, as I approach fifty, absolutely fabulous.

Everything in Its Time was a Scottish time travel. You followed that up with a western time travel. What drew you to that sub-genre?

Interestingly enough, the three time travels were actually published out of order. I wrote EIT, and then Wild Highland Rose(a second Scottish time travel), and then The Promise (the western). All three books stand alone but are loosely related. After EIT came out, I actually sold my first romantic suspense, and then since I thought The Promise was more suspenseful, I decided it should come next. Hence the out of sequence publishing.

As to time travel, I’ve always loved time travel romances. Particularly Diana Gabaldon’s first book in the Outlander series. I think it’s something about a love so strong it transcends even time. Sappy I suppose, but there you have it. Anyway, Katherine and Iain’s story had been hovering at the back of my mind in various forms I think for a long time, so it was almost therapeutic to finally work out the details and put it on paper.

After your second time travel, you turned to romantic suspense with your fabulous Last Chance, Inc. group. How did you go about developing the concept?

The Last Chance Series came on the heels of a couple of related romantic suspense novels I’d written – Midnight Rain and Dancing in the Dark. Characters from the first continued (one of them as the hero) in the second. I really enjoyed having more time to develop these characters and wanted to explore the idea of writing about a continuing group of people. Last Chance itself was born from the idea of bringing together the best of the best from different expertise without the bureaucratic red tape of the various organizations they worked for. Cullen Pulaski, the head of Last Chance, was based loosely on H. Ross Perot. And also, I loved the idea of three men who had shared a horrific wartime experience and the bonds it created between them and the residual affect the event continued to have on their lives.


Match Made on Madison makes superb use of New York City. How did you research that book?

I have dreamed my whole life of living in Manhattan, and now that we actually do, we spend a whole lot of our time exploring the city. So the research, if you want to call it that, came easily. Vanessa’s favorite places are, for the most part, mine!

How did you come to have such an eclectic career?

I like tackling different kinds of projects. Although to be honest, both my time travels and my paranormal novellas are romantic suspense at their basic core, which means that it’s not as much of a departure as one might initially think. And Match was a lark. I read an article in the New York Times about matchmakers and combined it with my love of Jane Austen’s Emma and Vanessa was born. I think writing different kinds of things stretches a writer’s wings and makes her a better at her craft. Or at least I hope it does! Anyway, my first love will always be romantic suspense, but it’s fun to write something else, as well.


How do you create romantic conflict and integrate it into your plots?

Well, Nora Roberts always says that if you need to raise the level of conflict: kill someone. (My apologies to Nora if I’m misquoting-but I’ve always loved that.) Seriously, I think the romantic conflict must be integral to the story or you’re not writing a romance. The trick with romantic suspense is that you have two sets of conflict – the romance and the suspense. And for the book to work, I think that the two have to feed off of each other. At the most basic level, one should not be able to exist without the other. And that’s probably the trickiest part. So it’s not so much a matter of creating the conflict, typically that just happens as the story goes along, it’s more about balancing the romantic conflict against a backdrop of escalating suspense.


Your books have a variety of settings. How have you drawn on your own experiences in creating them?

Well, definitely places that interest me. And usually some place I know and love. Although I recently set a book, Chain Reaction, in Idaho and I’ve only been there once, but I have family in Montana and have spent time there and the culture is similar I use Creede, Colorado a lot, as I spent my summers there growing up. I also lived in Vienna for three years and so it seemed natural to set a book there. I’ve traveled extensively in Ireland and Scotland, so it was with love that I set books in those countries. And the same is true of Atlanta in Dark of the Night. I lived in Austin a number of years and also Corpus Christi (and all over Texas for that matter), so it’s natural to set books there. I think you do draw on places you know. I also think that books are a marvelous way to travel around the world. I still remember reading Mary Stewart’s books as a teenager and the joy I got from traveling with her to places all over Europe. My love for Vienna came from Airs Above the Ground and I still yearn to travel to Greece because of The Moon-Spinners and My Brother Michael. So I guess, I hope that my readers enjoy the same ‘traveling' with me.

What’s the most fun about writing for you?

Creating a world and the people that inhabit it. And honestly, the moment when you reach ‘the end’ and it’s actually all come together. And most of all—when someone talks about one of my characters as if they’re real. Truly, there isn’t a greater compliment-even when they’re trying to explain to me why the character should have done something different from what they actually did.

What’s the hardest part of writing?

The middle of the book. To quote A.A. Milne: ‘you’re neither up nor down’. And usually I’m ready to just blow everyone up and be done with it.

Tell us about Set-Up in SoHo and your next romantic suspense.

Set-Up in SoHo is the second book in the Matchmaker Chronicles. When Andrea Sevalas’ long time boyfriend announces he’s seeing someone else, Andi’s Aunt Althea (the infamous Manhattan matchmaker) figures a little manipulation is in order. Things are going charmingly until truth is revealed. But, with Althea at the helm, Andi will discover that love comes in all kinds of packages, and that sometimes all it takes to recognize the fact, is opening your heart to the possibility.

Now available are Chain Reaction, Match Made on Madison, and Hell in Heels. Next up on the romantic suspense front, a dark, sexy new series about an off the books black ops division of the CIA. Look for the first books in ’09.


Readers can learn more about Dee from her website, http://www.deedavis.com/. Dee is giving away a copy of Chain Reaction to one lucky commenter.

So, dear readers, what kinds of settings do you like? Of romantic comedy, romantic suspense, and paranormal, what's your favorite?

62 comments:

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

All right, even if I have to go all the way to FINLAND, I'll claim the GR!

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Welcome to the Lair, Dee!

LOVE your romantic suspense books so I'll definitely have to try your rom com.

Settings? I'm the one who writes those foreign settings for my contemps. I only hope readers feel the same. :-P

Oh and Dee, I have to tell you that The Moonspinners was one of my favorite books. I even named my son for one of the characters in it!

AC
who thinks Finland might be an excellent setting for a future story

jo robertson said...

Wahooo, Aunty Cindy! Will you share the little guy with me?

Nancy, you always do the best interviews!

Welcome to the Lair, Dee. What a diverse and interesting career you've had. I'm so glad you found your dream. You're romantic suspenses are wonderful!

Can you tell us more about your upcoming black ops books?

I love settings about places I've never been; they seem so mysterious and exciting. I'd like to see a wider variation of settings in historicals than we've seen in the past.

Helen said...

Well done Aunty Cindy on the GR have fun with him

Great interview Dee and Nancy I really enjoy romance with suspense in it I tend to lean more towards historical but I do enjoy a good suspense,your books sound great I will be looking out for them. I have recently started reading paranormal and have really enjoyed the couple I have read I am reading Visions Of Heat by Nalini Singh at the moment I love a good romance.
Have Fun
Helen

Christine Wells said...

Dee, welcome to the lair--we're so happy to have you here. Thanks for the great interview, Nancy.

You've written across a great variety of settings, Dee. Do you subscribe to Jayne Ann Krentz's view that we all have a core story we tell over and over, regardless of the setting or subgenre? If so, what is your core story? Or is there a theme that runs through your books?

As for your question, I think it depends on my mood as to which genre I enjoy. I lean towards romantic suspense, but in the right mood I do enjoy a good romcom. Your Matchmaker Chronicles sound like a lot of fun! Sigh. Another stack for my TBR mountain! Can we stop having these great guests, please??

And no need to go to Finland, AC! Congrats!! Treat him kindly, won't you?

Eva S said...

Congrats, Aunty Cindy, take good care of GR. I think he's rather tired after our cruise, he spent the whole day looking for sea-eagles and seagulls, he ate too much and spent the whole night on the disco floor!

Dee, I love your time travel books and paranormals are my favorites, but I think I'll take a look at the Last Chance- series...It sounds interesting and I can always now and then read a good romantic suspense.

Gannon Carr said...

Hi Dee! Time travels are a big favorite of mine--Diana Gabaldon's series is my particular fave. And I also have a fondness for paranormals and romantic suspense, and romantic comedies... Can you tell that I read just about everything?! LOL

I think foreign settings are great. It's fascinating "going" to new places while I read or even revisiting those locales I've already had the pleasure of going to.

Caren Crane said...

Congrats, AC! It's been too long since the Golden Rooster was in your loving care. But remember, he went on a lovely cruise yesterday, so he may not be ready for reality. Of course, he probably has a marvelous handle on Finland, so if you hope on a plane we will know why!

Dee, thank you for being with us today. I have a question for you. You have written so widely and done so well, it is wonderful to see! Did you tire of writing time travels, did the publishers decide it was a good time to shift gears into romantic suspense (or straight romance) or are you simply trying new things these days?

I am in awe of your ability to succeed in many subgenres!

I am in awe

Gillian Layne said...

Congrats AC!

Nancy, love this interview! Dee, what a wonderful story to wake up to. Gives those of us not (cough) twenty-one....or thirty-one, hope! Great to see what determination and talent can accomplish.

I love paranormal, and am in awe of romance suspense. So many different story arcs all merging in to one cohesive story...it's quite the skill.

Anna Sugden said...

Hey Dee *waving from NJ*

Great interview, Nancy.

I love your RS books - will have to check out the Romcoms too.

Eva - glad you and the GR had a great day. I'm sure he and AC can exchange cruise stories.

Settings - I like settings that are almost one of the characters of the story, wherever they are set.

Rebekah E. said...

I really love books set in Ireland and Scotland. They are places I hope to visit one day. And I absolutely love time travel books.

Maureen said...

Hi Dee!
Romantic suspense is my favorite. When the two elements come together well it is so hard for me to put the book down.

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Good morning, Dee and Nancy! Lovely interview. And welcome to the Lair, Dee.

We met at my first Dreamin' In Dallas conference back in 2001, I believe. My daughter Lyndsey was with me at the book signing and got Everything In Its Time. She was hooked! We've been buying your books ever since.

I love the idea that you're stepping out into a third sub-genre with the romantic comedy. Do you find it sort of like sorbet, something to cleanse your pallet between courses of romantic suspense and the time-travels with their suspense elements?

Hellie Sinclair said...

Romantic Comedy, definitely, with paranormal a close second (esp if it's kinda funny about it.)

I love the Darkhunter series, which is very paranormal, but funny too.

Nancy said...

Good morning, everyone! Thanks for the kind words on the interview. Dee will be joining us shortly.

AC, congrats on the rooster! I don't think he has ever been to Finland, so if you're going, I'm sure he'd like the trip. For that matter, I've never been to Finland (hint, hint).

AC, was The Moonspinners the Disney adaptation that starred Peter McEnery? Or was that something else? I feel as if Disney did adapt it, maybe with Hayley Mills? Anybody here old enough to remember Hayley?

Helen, Eva S., Gannon, Gillian, Rebekah, and Mshellion, I also love history and paranormal as well as suspense and romantic comedy, as you may have noticed. One thing I enjoy about the lair is that our visitors have such a wide range of interests. I started reading romantic comedy mainly because I had friends who wrote it.

Christine, Match is, indeed, a funny book. And brimming with New York shopping.

Dee Davis said...

The MoonSpinners was indeed a Disney movie with Hailey Mills (I've got the DVD). While not quite as wonderful as the book, it is good, and fun to watch. How fun that you named your son after a character. I do so love Mary Stewart. Sent her my first book EVERYTHING IN ITS TIME when it came out with a note telling her how much she had influenced both my reading and my writing. Got a lovely letter back from her that is now one of my prize possessions.

Dee Davis said...

The new books are kind of underwraps for the moment. But think dark heros and fiesty heroines and run for your life excitement. I think the series is going to be a lot of fun. And am already falling in love with the characters!

Dee Davis said...

Christine,
What an interesting comment re Jayne Ann Krentz. I actually think there's sound logic there. Although I don't know for sure that I can identify my "core" story. But since everything we write is drawn upon our own life experiences (no I haven't actually had to disarm a chemical bomb), I think our characters are going to reflect that fact. And probably over and over again... it's sort of cheap therapy, no?

Dee Davis said...

Caren,

I have always loved Romantic Suspense. And although I started with the time travels, they're at their heart suspense as well. I was actually writing the two at the same time initially. So there was no publisher pressure. But unfortunately for all of us who love time travels, the market collapsed. (Maybe it's coming back...???)

Dee Davis said...

Suzanne,

What a wonderful thought re your daughter, Dallas and EIT. Sort of like you all have taken the journey with me. Makes me smile!!! Love the sorbet comment as well. And yes, that's exactly what it's like. As well as a chance to spread my wings and try something a little different.

Dee Davis said...

Re genres. Besides loving romantic suspense. I really do love a good historical romance. I mean is there really a better way to get carried away? Julia London, Galen Foley, and Eloisa James are a few favs...Thanks for having me in to visit the lair!!!

Minna said...

Congrats AC!
When it comes to settings, they are all foreign to me -and I like them all! Except for one scene in one of the books by Nora Roberts, I can't remember reading any books where the setting would have been in Finland. Come to think of it, I haven't read any books where the setting would have been in Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Island, either. What's wrong with the North?

I read mostly romantic suspense and paranormal.

Anonymous said...

Dee, I love hearing about your success in multiple genres--I hope someday to do the same! I sold my first YA last fall, but have several contemporary romances I'd like to sell, and these mischevious fairies keep buzzing around in my brain for a future book. So it's nice to know it can be done!

I'm not a good romantic suspense reader because I'm too much of a chicken. But I love the romcom, so I will have to get out there and read your matchmaker books!

Thanks for visiting the Lair!

beth said...

Welcome to the lair, Dee! Thanks for joining us *g*

I love all settings and most genres. I'd have to say I'd rather pick up a romantic comedy as I have to be in the right frame of mind for a suspense (if it's really dark)

All of your books sound fantastic! More wonderful stories for my TBR pile :-)

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Dee,
You have a letter from Mary Stewart?!?!?! (AC bows and scrapes in an I'm-not-worthy gesture at Dee's feet.) WOW! And yes, I remember seeing the Disney film if The Moonspinners when I was a kid. Yes, Nancy, loved Hayley Mills and Peter McEnery, but when I picked up the book as a teen it was SO MUCH BETTER!

Eva, the GR was in the Disco all night? That explains why he is soaking his feet (and spurs) with epsom salts this morning. Today is my DH's birthday, so the rooster and I are wrapping a few last minute gifts... the DH might even get one!

AC

Donna MacMeans said...

Dee - Loved the interview. Your books sounds fascinating. I'm another that believes a suspense lies in the heart of every story, even if it's not designated so on the cover.

I like books that make me smile, and I love a well-written time travel. In my mind, it combines the best of all the genres (historical, paranormal by the device & concept, suspense in how & will they return, contemporary characters - at least one *g*)

KT said...

great interview! looks very interesting!

Jill James said...

I love romantic suspense, the whole idea of being in danger and falling in love at the same time, because really, isn't falling in love dangerous too?

Jennifer Y. said...

WOW, y'all have lined up some great guests lately!

Dee is another author my sister enjoys...LOL...my sis is a big fan of romantic suspense and she and I are often sharing books and authors we discover.

As for the questions...I like all kinds of settings and love variety in my reading. One day I may be reading a paranormal and the next a historical. Or one day I may be reading an erotic romance and the next an inspirational. I love all genres of romance.

As for the three mentioned, I love them all...they each offer something different and refreshing. Romantic comedies are great when I am in the mood for a light-hearted read and need a laugh or smile. Romantic suspense are great for when I am in the mood for a darker and more suspenseful read and want some mystery in my reading. And paranormals are great for when I want to suspend disbelief and explore new and unique worlds, creatures, and characters.

Jennifer Y. said...

Oh, and I would LOVE for time travels to make a comeback...I love them!

Jennifer Y. said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I loved Hell with the Ladies, Dee! I need to get the follow-up!

I think it is neat that you write in so many subgenres and you do it so well...wonderful talent to be able to do all of them.

catslady said...

Oh romantic suspense and historicals are my two favorites although I do mix it up with other genres. I don't think I have a favorite setting for romantic suspense - I have to love the characters and then the rest is usually a bonus :)

Jane said...

Hi,
I love the Last Chance series. Payton is one of my all time favorite heroes. Romantic suspense is my favorite followed by paranormals. I love a perfect balance of action/suspense and romance. I can also appreciate a story where the suspense overshadows the romance as long as the couple's relationship isn't contrived.

Cassondra said...

Hi Dee, and welcome to the lair.

We've heard so many wonderful things about you, and your books are fabulous. It's great to actually "meet" you.

Although you say you had a Cinderella story with selling your first, I'm guessing a lot of work went into getting that ready to the point that the "glass slipper fit" when the agent/editor tried it on.

What did you do in terms of studying the genres or targetting your writing? Did you fall into it by simple osmosis--lots of reading? Or did you write the book of your heart and the time was simply ripe for it? Tell....;0)

Dee Davis said...

JenniferY - Thanks for your kind comments re Hell with the Ladies. Marcus' story was fun to write. Hell on Heels was loads of fun, too. And say hi to your sister for me!

And Jane -- Payton is one of my favorites, too!!! The new series will very much be in the same vein as Last Chance...

Dee Davis said...

Cassandra,

When I decided I wanted to write a book... mainly because time was a passin' and I wasn't getting any younger...

I read a large number of romances over one summer -- researching what was selling and doing well within the romance market. From there I began to formulate my own story (Everything In Its Time) using what I'd learned about plot, pacing and so forth based on what I had liked about various books I'd read.

I think knowing the market is one of the best things any writer can do. And I think it's something we have to keep up with . I also researched houses and agents so that I would have a better understanding of which agents and editors might be interested in my work.

I knew from the get go that I wanted an agent as I'm not particularly good at selling myself. So knew I needed someone on my team that could do that. The rest honestly did fall into place.

I think any success in life is part talent, part hard work, and part luck. A lot about being in the right place at the right time -- and then being prepared for when it happens. Does that make sense?

One last thought-- I didn't join RWA until after I finished EIT. Mainly because I wanted to prove to myself I could finish a book before actually telling anyone I was a writer. As you know it worked out fine for me. But in retrospect, it might have been easier if I'd joined when I first started thinking about writing, you know? :)

Anna Campbell said...

Eva, thanks for looking after the rooster and showing him some distant relatives!

Dee, welcome to the lair and congratulations on all your success. Nancy, great interview!

I'm a self-proclaimed genre tart. I'll read anything if it's a good story and interesting (not even likable) characters.

Lovely to see you mention Mary Stewart. I devoured her during my teenage years. She was a genius at evoking setting, wasn't she? You could smell and touch and feel the places she described so brilliantly.

Nancy, it was indeed the Moonspinners with Hayley Mills that Disney adapted! Can't remembr if Peter McE was in it. I remember him mainly from the Zeffirelli Romeo and Juliet where he was a wonderful Mercutio.

Anna Campbell said...

Gosh, Dee, A LETTER FROM MARY STEWART??!!! That's the coolest thing! Wow, how amazing! And I bet she was lovely. She always sounded like she would be from the writing.

AC, forgot to congratulate you on your fabulous rooster napping!

Anna Campbell said...

Minna, I wonder why people don't write more books set in Scandinavia either. I think it's a fascinating place and scenically absolutely amazing. Aussie author Paula Roe wrote a Desire that came out this year as her debut called Forgotten Marriage. It featured a Danish hero which was so interesting and different.

Wendy said...

Hi, Dee!

Oh, don't even get me started on matchmaking - do you know that today during clinicals one of my classmates tried playing the matchmaker and was talking to this med student from another school? Telling him that he was cute then asking if he was single then telling him about me..Gah! I was so embarrassed I hid in the nurse's station lol!

Anyhoodles, I've actually never read any of your books but they sound great, especially Chain Reaction - oooh, love romantic suspense - so I definitely need add them to my Must Get list. :)

Anna Campbell said...

Yeah, Jennifer, hasn't the lair been jumping. Almost as hawt as the disco the GR went to with Eva!

Dee, wanted to say I love your call story! I always get misty eyed in call stories!

Minna said...

Anna, I have read one book featuring a Finnish hero who had moved to the U.S.A., but I can't say I enjoyed it very much. It was a Desire book, too. I was too bothered by the weird name (Jarl Hendriks-is that supposed to be a Finnish name?) and by some other stuff in that book to enjoy it.

hrdwrkdmom aka Dianna said...

I don't read a lot of romantic supspense because well..... I am a coward and I do like to sleep at night. I do read it during the daytime though! I also like romantic comedy, historicals (regency and medieval), and I love, love, love time travel.

Eva S said...

Minna,
do you think there aren't so many books from Finland or from the North because people know so little about us? Or is it the weather...?

Anna, we had a wonderful time with GR on our cruise.. I think he got a crush on a sea-eagle..!

Cherie J said...

I love paranormals so plots set in alternate worlds or other worlds are so much fun to read.

Anna Campbell said...

Minna, you're right. That doesn't sound at all Finnish. I must admit I have a vested interest in Scandinavian stuff because all my mum's family were Danish. Paula's book is good on the Danish stuff (although it's set in Australia). She lived there for a couple of years and knows the culture really well. Connie Brockway has done two contemporaries set in Minnesota called Hot Dish and Skinny Dipping that include of stuff about Scandinavian culture. Or at least how it has survived in the US. Both are great reads and well worth checking out.

Nancy said...

Gillian, lots of us are not "twenty-one or *cough* thirty-one" anymore. You hang in there and keep rolling! I have a magnet that says something like, "It's never too late to live the life you should have had." That's simplistic, of course, but there's a point in there somewhere.

Dee, add me to the ranks of those envying your Mary Stewart letter! Just think, if you'd never ventured to contact her, you wouldn't have it! Thanks to you and Anna C. on the Moonspinners/Disney info.

Minna, I would love to see books set in northern Europe. I do most of my traveling vicariously, these days.

Y'all can add me to the "wish time travels would come back" group. I really liked them a lot!

Anna C., I do remember Mercutio. He was great! Sort of stole the movie--until he died.

Dee, isn't it funny how we're so hesitant to claim the dream until we feel as if we're attained it or are close to attaining it? One of the hardest things for me to do as an AYU is tell people I'm a writer. I agree that RWA can make the learning process easier.

tetewa said...

My favorite genre to read is Paranormal with Romantic Suspense coming in a close second!

Keira Soleore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kammie said...

Welcome, Dee. I'm already a fan of your books. What a neat story about getting the call.

I like to read about places I've been to and also those I haven't. I'm always fascinated with Scotland and Ireland. I doubt I'll ever be able to visit there, so I live it a little through the stories. Right now, sitting here with blizzard like conditions outside, I'd like a setting in a warm place by the beach. lol

Keira Soleore said...

Dee, welcome to the Banditas' Lair. What a great interview, Dee and Nancy.

Your questions:
1. What kinds of settings do you like? I'm a Regency gal, so anything and everything to do with England two hundred years ago (I'll even take modern-day) is of interest to me.
2. Of romantic comedy, romantic suspense, and paranormal, what's your favorite? Comedy, please. I'm going to be looking out for Madison to show up at my local bookstore.

What made you decide to write a pure comedic story as opposed to a comedy-suspense or a pure suspense set in NYC? Was this sub-genre something you've always been hoping to move into, or was it just that one article that sparked everything?

Finland, AC? Whee!! I loved our visit there (gave our kid a Suomi name). I just wish we'd been able to fit a visit to Samiland while we were up there.

Anonymous said...

Great interview Dee!
Your paranormals are my favorites.

Dee Davis said...

Keira,

Beautiful name! Honestly, it was just the article and the idea of a matchmaker in Manhattan. Although I love romantic comedy movies so I suppose there was inspiration there as well. I've set several suspense novels in NYC. Including - Exposure and Endgame. And my novella Still of the Night (in Silent Night). So I've definitely had fun with suspense in NYC, too.

Keira Soleore said...

How cool is that! You're giving your readers different views of NYC. First with suspense, now with comedy. I really have to pick up ones of suspenses you mentioned first and then read your comedy debut to see how you work it. The city is so incredibly complex... Oh, is your para also set there?

Fedora said...

Hi, Dee! Late to the party today ;)

I'm with Kirsten--a bit of a scaredy cat, so I tend to avoid romantic suspense, but I love romantic comedies, so I'll be looking for yours!

As for settings, I'm not sure I have a favorite--I like that in books I can visit all sorts of different places, especially ones I may not get to in real life (because of expense, timing, or because it doesn't really exist!) I agree with AnnaS that it's great when the setting is an integral part of the story, almost like another characters.

Congratulations on your multiple successes!!

And congrats, AC, on the GR!

Unknown said...

ive really enjoyed ever book i have had of yours! you are veryg ood story teller!

Minna said...

Eva, it can't be the weather, since there are books where the setting is in Alaska.

Minna said...

So it must because people know so little about us. Just take a look at some of these questions:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~jshermun/faq.htm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=577422&start=0&tstart=0

Dee Davis said...

Keira,

The paranormal novellas are both set in Europe in various cites including Halstadt, a fav Austrian townof mine, Milan, and Stessa a cool Italian city in the Lake Country.

Pat L. said...

I love your books, Dee. Am a big contemp fan.

Do your family members read your books?

Pat L. said...

Dee, I love your books.

Who are some of your fav authors?

Pat L.

Dee Davis said...

Hi Pat!

Yes. My family members do read my books. (Although I sort of suspect that my father skipped the naughty bits) In fact they're all incredibly supportive. Although my brother gets mad when I rearrange physical attributes of somewhere we both know really well. My husband's family also is amazingly supportive and they all read my work as well. I've very lucky to have such amazing people on my side.

I love reading and so have many favorite authors. But here are a few both longtime and new: Mary Stewart, Michael Crichton, Emily Giffin, Barbara Samuel, Steve Berry, Linda Francis Lee, Madeline L'Engle, C.S. Lewis, Harper Lee, JK Rowling, Suzanna Kearsley, Caridad Ferrer and Christina Skye.