Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Let the Countdown Begin
by Beth Andrews
In the US, Thanksgiving is the official kick-off to the Holiday season. And since Thanksgiving is in two short days, I'd like to present my list of the Ten Things I'm Looking Forward To This Holiday Season and Five Things I Could Live Without
Ten Things I'm looking forward to (in no particular order):
1. Enchanted. I love Disney movies and this one about a cartoon princess who gets banished to New York City looks really good *g*
2. Nora Roberts' Sign of Seven trilogy. I LOVE Nora Roberts' books, especially her trilogies.
3. Big Boned, the latest Heather Wells mystery by Meg Cabot. Meg's books--both for adults and teens--are laugh-out-loud funny!
4. White trash. This yummy combo of pretzels, peanuts, M&Ms, Corn Chex cereal and Cheerios covered in melted white chocolate is addicting.
5. Chocolate Chip biscotti. Yummy biscotti with chocolate chips and a hint of cinnamon--and the ends are dipped in melted white chocolate (I'm seeing a pattern here)
6. Christmas songs - especially anything by Trans Siberian Orchestra or Bing Crosby.
7. Shopping. Well, I love shopping at any time of the year really, but during November and December I get to tell my husband I HAVE to go to the mall. Two or three times a week.
8. Watching holiday movies like It's A Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn and The Santa Clause *g*
9. Making a gingerbread house with my kids on Christmas Eve. Making the dough and frosting takes some time but it's worth it :-)
10. All those wonderful sappy commercials. Remember the Folgers one where the older brother comes home and his little sister is awake and they make coffee and the rest of the family wakes up to the fresh aroma of Folgers and is surprised to see him there? Gets me every time.
Five things I could live without:
1. My mom's meat stuffing. She makes it every year for Thanksgiving. I'm not even sure what's in it but it's dark brown and looks like a dry meatloaf. The only people who eat it are my father and brother. But even though I don't eat it, it's still there on the table tormenting me.
2. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. The TV show, not the actual reindeer. I know, I know, it's like I'm Scrooge or something, and it's not that I hate Rudolph, it's just that something about the animation freaks me out. And I've always been afraid of that snow monster.
3. The song, Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. Argh! And now that I've typed it, it's already stuck in my head!
4. The five pounds I'll gain from eating so much White Trash and Chocolate Chip Biscotti.
5. Taking down the decorations. Funny how everybody and their brother is around when it's time to decorate the house, but when it's time to UN-decorate, I'm the only person within a five mile radius.
Okay, that's my list *g* What about you? What are you looking forward to this Holiday Season? What could you live without? Come on, I can't be the only person who doesn't watch Rudolph :-)