The other night, we were discussing the fad of playing board games. It used to be that everywhere you went, from family visits to dinner parties with friends, the board games would come out and off everyone would go. [We won't mention the whole wives falling out with husbands, brothers and sisters not on speaking terms thing
Though many of us remember the days of Life, Monopoly or Scrabble, and Kerplunk, Mousetrap or Operation, there was also Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary and variations on the Charades theme.
Two of my favourites were Celebrity Taboo and PSI.
In Celebrity Taboo, you had to get people to guess which celebrity you were, but couldn't use certain key words eg how do you get people to guess you're Groucho Marx when you can't use words like cigar, mustache, brothers etc.
In PSI, again people had to guess which celebrity you were but this time it was by answering questions as if you were the celebrity. eg If you were a flower, what would you be?
So, for a bit of fun today, I thought we'd do a Board Games Quick 5.
1. Favourite board game
2. Most detested board game
3. Best and worst Trivial Pursuit category (Geography, Sports & Leisure, Entertainment, Art & Literature, Science & Nature, History)
4. If you were a flower, what would you be? If you were a drink, what would you be? If you were a type of shoe, what would you be?
5. Complete the following sentence: Imagine trying to get people to guess you were (insert name of celebrity) without mentioning the following words ... (insert words)
Here are my answers to start you off:
1. I used to love Mousetrap because it had all those different bits and contraptions!
2. Sorry, but it's Monopoly.
3. I was always terrible at Geography, but really good with Entertainment, Art & Literature or Science & Nature.
4. Flower: Red Gerbera daisy, Drink: Mojito, Shoe: something red, high-heeled, strappy, with zips, studs or a bow.
5. Imagine trying to get people to guess you were "Dolly Parton" without mentioned the following words ... boobs, country music, platinum blonde, high heels.
Over to you!