Monday, September 6, 2010

Jo Davis talks Spy Games

interview by Suzanne

A Lair favorite, Jo Davis returns, this time to talk sexy Spies with Suzanne. As always any conversation between these two involves alcohol, sexy men and good stories! Pull up a lounger and see what's up this time.

Suz: So, welcome back to the Lair, Jo! It’s always great fun to have you join us, and of course it’s always a good reason to share drinks… Sven has become quite the Mojito mixologist these days.

The sound of liquid pouring and then two glasses clinking fill the nearly empty bar area

Suz: Many of the Bandits are working in the writing caves, but I’d expect one or two to pop up for these lovely drinks, soon! This time you’ve brought us a very naughty book to read. I Spy A Naughty Game is the second book in your erotic spy romances, the SHADO Series. And might I add just how much fun I had reading it? Yummo!

In this book we get to meet two more agents for SHADO, Blaze Kelly and Emma Foster. Can you tell everyone a little bit about them?

Jo: First, it’s great to be back! I always enjoy visiting with the Bandits. What a fun group!


As for Blaze and Emma… Blaze is our tough, sexy agent who’s nursing a broken heart. He’s a Dom who’s into the D/s lifestyle and the woman he loves just couldn’t handle it. Emma is a disguise/makeup artist for SHADO. She still loves Blaze, but doesn’t believe she’ll ever be able to fit into his world to be what he needs—a submissive who will melt at her master’s touch, obey his command.

Suz: In I Spy A Naughty Game, you walk your readers through the world of Dominants and submissives. How do Blaze and Emma fit into this world?

Jo: Blaze is a natural. He’s the epitome of what a Dom should be—firm and in control, but always aware that his sub’s safety and happiness comes first. He wants Emma to learn to trust him and know that the D/s lifestyle isn’t some wild free-for-all that’s all about the master’s needs, but about the sub’s needs. Emma is having a difficult time letting go to completely trust him, and isn’t sure she ever can. Besides, she’s pretty butch and feels she has to be just as tough as the guys to work at SHADO. How can she ever feel feminine?

Suz: What if any difficulties or goals did you have when writing about the D/s lifestyle? Any research you might’ve done?

Jo: Let me say I’m not personally into the lifestyle (grin), but that world fascinates me. I do read BDSM erotica and erotic romance, but I felt that wasn’t enough to go on to write about Blaze’s universe. I did some research and found some well-known D/s Masters online, studied their house rules and “mission statements” if you will. I learned that there are actual, definitive types of Masters for each type of sub and that it’s important for the two to be well-matched, and to have a written contract that spells out their commitment. One Master I found was perfect to model Blaze after, with his belief in loving dominance and respect for the sub. I went with it.

Suz: Has it been an easy adjustment for Emma?


Jo: Not at all. Emma fancies herself a tough chick, and she is. But she has a soft, feminine underbelly, a part of her craving dominance, that she’s terrified to expose to Blaze.

Suz: How does their relationship and need for the D/s lifestyle come into play within the external plot of the story?

Jo: Michael Ross, SHADO’s troubled leader, taps Blaze and Emma to go undercover as man and wife to infiltrate a group of rich investors who are supplying money to a home-grown terrorist organization. This organization is now under the control of Robert Dietz (from book 1, I SPY A WICKED SIN) who has escaped, and SHADO must stop Dietz before he and his group transfer a stolen weapon of mass destruction out of the country.

Dietz’s investors meet at a D/s club to conduct their meetings and play. Blaze and Emma have to get into their group and hopefully learn where Dietz is hiding the weapon. Forced into this situation (it was either participate or agonize as another female agent took the job as Blaze’s sub), Emma’s barriers come down…one naughty game at a time.

Suz: Things get shaken up at SHADO as a result and we’re left hanging with more questions than answers, (not very nice m’dear), so does this story arc carry over into the next book, I Spy A Dark Obsession?

Jo: Now, Suz dear, you know I’d never leave you hanging! NAUGHTY GAME is a complete stand-alone and the only plot point left unanswered is when Robert Dietz will finally get what’s coming to him, and who will deliver the long-awaited justice. You’ll have to wait until March 2011 when I SPY A DARK OBSESSION is released to find out! That story is a ménage and features Michael Ross, Bastian Chevalier, and Katrina Brandt.


Suz: Let’s take a minute to talk about your firefighters. When is the next book coming out?

Jo: Ooh, I’m so glad you asked! RIDE THE FIRE will be released on December 7 and finally gives my readers Captain Sean Tanner’s story. I’m sad to see this series end, but I believe my readers will love Sean and Eve’s story. Sean battles his way back from the depths of hell, and there are some powerful, emotional setbacks and triumphs along the way. He’s also blindsided by the knowledge that the accident that killed his family might have been deliberate… Have a box of tissue handy, folks. This one even made my editor cry!

Suz: (My apologies, blogger was not cooperative and this image does not do the sexy cover justice!!)

Dear Bandit Buddies, please be sure to join Jo and I in December as we have a VERY special treat planned for all of you when we discuss the fifth book in the Station Five Firefighter Series, Ride The Fire.

Jo: So I have a question for y'all and one commenter will receive a signed copy of I Spy A Naughty Game. Which fictional spy gets your motor running? If any spy hero could step off the pages and ask you for a hot date, who would it be and why?

70 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Jo,
Congrats on the upcoming release of "I Spy a Naughty Game." That must have been interesting research. I don't want your Station Five series to end. What about Shane? I was hoping he would eventually get his own book.

Helen said...

Well done Jane have fun with him

Hi Jo and Suz
It is great to you you back Jo and this new book sounds very hot and I have to say the research must have been soo interesting.

I too am looking forward to Sean and Eve's book December isn't that far away now and I too am with Jane will Shane get his story.

Congrats on the release

Have Fun
Helen

Unknown said...

Well done Jane... have a good time with GR

Hi Jo,

I haven't read any of your books but have the fire series in TBR pile ... your new book sounds very interesting and what an excuse for research LOL

Anna Sugden said...

Sven has been mixing mojitos - awesome!

Welcome back, Jo - it's always great to have you join us in the Lair!

Your latest sounds fascinating - the internet is a wonderful thing - being able to research all that stuff safely from home!

Yay on more of your yummy firefighters too.

Hmm fictional spies - I loved the series Merline Lovelace did for Intimate Moments - all her men were yummy. I can't remember if Linda Howard's Kell Sabin was a spy, but he is one of my all-time favourites.

kim h said...

hot books
congrts on the great reviews
michal vartan form alias

Laurie G said...

Hi Jo,

I Spy a Naughty Game sounds like a handful of ongoing excitement and intrigue!!

I like Jason Bourne! Matt Damon was perfect for that role!

Favorite spy: Tom Cruise in his role in the Mission Impossible movies.
He was such a charismatic, athletic, aggressive, loner, betrayed "spy" on the run. The first movie where he broke into the main office and stole the information.... that drop of sweat...awesome!!

Buffie said...

Great interview Jo and Suz!!!

I'm looking forward to reading I SPY A NAUGHTY GAME. It sounds very . . . sexy ;-)

I have to agree with Laurie on Jason Bourne. Tough and sexy all in one!!! And who wouldn't take 007 James Bond -- Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, or Daniel Craig!!!

Jo, I am SOOOOOOOO looking forward to Sean and Eve's book in December. I can't believe this series is coming to end. It has been such an enjoyment!!!!

Jo Davis said...

Good morning everyone! Thanks for stopping by, and on a holiday, no less! Hope everyone had a great long weekend. :) It's always fantastic to be here!

Jo Davis said...

Hi Jane,
Yep, research is a tough job but I must do it. :)

I don't want the series to end, either, but my publisher took me in a new direction. I never say never, though, to writing Shane's story one day...

mlmrw135 said...

The new book sounds great. Can't wait to read it.

Jo Davis said...

Hi Helen,
Yes, NAUGHTY GAME is red hot! Read if you dare...

I'm also excited about December. I couldn't wait for Sean to get his happy ending, and boy does that man deserve it!

I hope Shane will get his story someday, but it will be down the road...

Jo Davis said...

Hi Barb,
Oooh, yes, interviewing all those adorable firefighters was lovely!! To a man, they were very sweet and helpful. What great guys!

I hope you enjoy the series. :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi Anna,
Thanks, it's great to be back!

Yes, on the research--if I hadn't had the Internet to peer safely into the world of BDSM (the concept of D/s fascinates me, but I'm a big chicken!) then this book would never have been written! LOL.

Hmm, I forgot to answer my own question-- I'm thinking a hot date with Jason Bourne would get my motor running, as long as he wasn't being shot at! :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks so much! Have a great day. :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi Laurie,
Thanks so much! I think this I SPY book is a book that moves--there's always something happening. Plenty of steamy action...of all kinds. :)

Ooh, love that Jason Bourne... too sexy!

Jo Davis said...

Hi Buffie!
Thanks, I hope you enjoy the new I SPY and Sean's book in December!

Sean's book was very emotional to write because of what he was going through. While writing one scene in particular, I was sobbing. When you read it, I'll bet you figure out which scene. :) Can't wait for reader response on this one...

Jo Davis said...

Hi Maria,
Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it. :)

jo robertson said...

Hi, Jo! Welcome back to the Lair and congratulations on the release of your second I SPY book.

Congratulations on getting the rooster today, Jane!

With spies, I'm soooo old-school. I still adore JAMES BOND in any formula, but especially Daniel Craig.

Gillian Layne said...

The grown man, Rames, from Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series. He was a fabulous if unwilling spy. So was Emerson. I love those books. :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi Jo,
Thanks so much! The I SPY series was fun to write. :) I like James Bond, too. I grow up in the era of Roger Moore, but I thought Pierce Brosnan was the best one!

Have a great day!

Jo Davis said...

Hi Gillian,
I'm not familiar with those heroes. I'll have to check them out. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Joan said...

Hey JO!!!

I Spy A Naughty Game has been added to the top of my list to buy! (Dangit....and I was just out by a Borders yesterday...ohhhhhh Amazon....)

Beth Andrews said...

Welcome back, Jo! Congrats on your new release - looks fabulous :-)

I'm not sure the men of Leverage count as spies but they do work undercover all the time *g*

Happy Labor Day to all in the US!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Good morning, Jane! Congrats on nabbing that bird. Gonna make him labor on labor day? hehehe

Speaking of laboring...I LOVE to work on Labor Day...will be tonight...coz something about women being in labor on Labor Day fits my sense of the ironic!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Jane, I truly loved I Spy A Naughty Game. Jo has just the right amount of very sexy sex and good suspense to keep the pages turning!!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Helen!!

It's always good to find you hear in the Lair of a morning...okay, an American morning! :)

You and Jane have great taste, I'd like to see Shane's story...and I know JO would love to write it!!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Morning Barb!

I haven't read any of your books but have the fire series in TBR pile ...

Might I suggest you move the whole series to the top? Oh and get the first spy novel, I Spy A Wicked Sin, too? You're gonna love Jo's voice, her men...her stories!!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Anna!

How was the race yesterday?

Kell Sabine was one of my all time hunky heroes, too! Can't remember if he's a spy or not, seems he was undercover at least.

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Laurie: I like Jason Bourne! Matt Damon was perfect for that role!

Matt Damon was sooooooooooo my idea of what Jason Bourne would've been like!

Did you read the books? The movie and subsequent veered so far from those that Matt's portrayal was the only thing that connected them back to the original character for me!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Buffie: I'm looking forward to reading I SPY A NAUGHTY GAME. It sounds very . . . sexy ;-)

Buffie, honey, I can GUARANTEE you're gonna love this book!! Blaze is by far one of my favorite alpha males ever!!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Morning, Jo! Sorry to be so late, but the cool morning weather(finally) had me sleeping in today!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey JoMama!!

With spies, I'm soooo old-school. I still adore JAMES BOND in any formula, but especially Daniel Craig.

I do so think he gave Bond an edgier, sexier side, don't you? Our friend Addison Fox was the first person to go gaga over him as Bond...her quote, "His eyes could melt your panites." hehehe

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Gillian: The grown man, Rames, from Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series. He was a fabulous if unwilling spy. So was Emerson. I love those books.

Uhm, Gillian, throw some titles out here, so I can get a few and get started. I've never read this author!

(OH dear the TBR pile just teetered at that comment!!)

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Joan: I Spy A Naughty Game has been added to the top of my list to buy! (Dangit....and I was just out by a Borders yesterday...ohhhhhh Amazon....)

Jo did tell you there's one more book in the series..I Spy A Dark Obsession, didn't she? I personally LOVE that title. :)

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Beth: I'm not sure the men of Leverage count as spies but they do work undercover all the time *g*

OMG. Did you SEEEEEEEEE the final episode last night?!?!?

I can't wait until December, apparently they're going to have a winter/summer schedule for this show! I LOVE IT.

Oh and I have a feeling Elliott did some spy work in his past, don't you?

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Maria!

The book is fantastic! I have a feeling it will be a one sitting read for a lot of people!

Jo Davis said...

Hi Joan!
Great to "see" you again! I hope you enjoy the new I SPY book. Hey, that just gives you another excuse to visit Borders. :))

Jo Davis said...

Hi Beth,
Thanks so much!

Hey, that's two mentions for Leverage... I've never seen it! Don't watch TV much.

Minna said...

I just loved the spies in the series Year of Loving Dangerously.
And I like Merline Lovelace's Code Name: Danger series, too.

Mission Impossible Theme(full theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYhNHhxN0A

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Morning everyone...

Welcome back to the Lair, Jo! We always love to have you visit, and BIG THANX to Suz for inviting you!

OOOO! I Spy a Naughty Game sounds sooo sexy! WOO! HOO! Gotta get myself to the book store ASAP!

Can't really think of a fictional spy I don't LURVE! LOL! There's just something so appealing about a man doing clandestine activities.... (Aunty waggles her eyebrows)

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Congrats on nabbing the GR again, Jane! Are you and he going to engage in some spying on this holiday? He is definitely sneaky enough to be a spy. ;-)

AC

Fedora said...

Hi, Jo!!! Hot spies! :) Well, Vaughn from Alias is still one of my favorites :) But I'm loving Chuck and Casey from the TV series Chuck, too ;) I would definitely agree to a date with any of them! I'm behind on your Spy series--must catch up! How delicious!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey AC!There's just something so appealing about a man doing clandestine activities....

Isn't that just so appealing? And mysterious? And...sexy?!?

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Fedora!I'm behind on your Spy series--must catch up! How delicious!

Yes you do!! And yes they are!!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Jo...

One of the coolest spies ever was Illia Kuriaken (sp?) from Man from U.N.C.L.E.!! Love David McCallum. So glad to see he's revitalized his career on another favorite show, NCIS!

Addison said...

Jo!

So excited you're in the Lair today!

And Mz. Suzanne....I believe the proper quote was "That man's eyes will melt your panties OFF." :-)

Ahhhh...Daniel Craig love is such a wonderful thing.

I also have to agree with Gillian - I never would have thought about Ramses as a super-spy from Elizabeth Peters's series, but he really is!!! I absolutely love, love, LOVE that series and I love how she's woven such a great story for the second generation.

Addison

Tracy Garrett said...

Hi Jo! I'm looking forward to I Spy! And Sean's book, too.

My favorite spy is Sean Connery's James Bond. He's been on my yummy meter for years.

Tracy Garrett said...

"One of the coolest spies ever was Illia Kuriaken (sp?) from Man from U.N.C.L.E.!! Love David McCallum."

Suz, I so agree!

Gillian Layne said...

There are 19 books in the Elizabeth Peters series. It's really best to read them in order, so you won't be introduced to Ramses as an adult for a while---but it's so worth the wait. And Ramses as a child is just as entertaining.

Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first book.

Jennifer D. said...

Hello,

I'm not sure he's a spy, but I always had a thing for Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland) from 24 or Pierce Bronson's James Bond!!

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hey Suz and Tracy,
I LURVED The Man From U.N.C.L.E. series too! And while Illia was definitely a hottie, Napoleon Solo wasn't too bad either! ;-)

AC
P.S. Gillian, I LURVE Elizabeth Peters' series too, though I thought Ramses as a child was a pain in the arse. He did redeem himself once he grew up, however. (big evil grin)

Gannon Carr said...

Hi, Jo! I still have to read you "spy" series---so many books, so little time---but I luurve your firefighters! Something tells me I'll feel the same about your spies. :-)

I've always had a weakness for 007, particularly Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan. My latest favorite spy would be Thomas Wentworth, the hero of Karen Hawkins' latest, MUCH ADO ABOUT MARRIAGE. He's a spy in Elizabethan England, and he's gorgeous and sexy!

Kay Thomas said...

Jo!

Great to see you here today. Congratulations on "I Spy a Naughty Game."

I love Daniel Craig as the new James Bond, too. I haven’t read the Elizabeth Peters series but I’ve heard before that it’s remarkable. I’m convinced now that I definitely need to try it.

I’m looking forward to that new television series this fall called Under Covers. It’s looks really fun about the couple who are spies.

Kay

Jo Davis said...

Hey Aunty Cindy,
It's great to be back! Thanks, and I hope you enjoy NAUGHTY GAME.

Yes, there's just something about a spy hero that I Luuuv. :)-

Jo Davis said...

Hi Flchn,
Great to see you! I hope you enjoy the spy series. :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi Addison!
Thanks, it's great to be here. Oh, I agree Daniel Craig is yummy. :))

Thanks for stopping by!

Jo Davis said...

Hi Tracy!
Do you know I've never seen one of Sean Connery's Bond movies?? Go figure. :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi Gannon!
I hope you enjoy the I SPY series. They're a lot, umm, spicier than my Firefighter series, but were lots of fun to write. :)

Jo Davis said...

Hi, Kay!
Thanks so much--release day is always exciting. :)

Say, I saw a preview today for Under Covers-- it looks awesome! I don't watch much TV, but it looks like it's worth a try!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Addison! And Mz. Suzanne....I believe the proper quote was "That man's eyes will melt your panties OFF." :-)

Ahhhh...Daniel Craig love is such a wonderful thing.


So sorry I misquoted YOU! and Yes Daniel Craig love is a wonderful thing, once I got over him being the assassin priest in the Elizabeth movie!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Tracy!

Sean was a very smooth and sexy bond, and he only got better as he grew into the role!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Gillian: Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first book.

Okay, so I'll be looking for the back list starting with this one!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Jennifer: I'm not sure he's a spy, but I always had a thing for Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland) from 24

Ooooooooooooo I liked Keifer as Jack too!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Gillian!

He's a spy in Elizabethan England, and he's gorgeous and sexy!

You know I have a feeling it would've been a bit more dangerous to be a spy back then. Nowadays, you probably can stay in prison and be traded back to your country. But I bet back then you spent a month or year getting tortured then....Off with their heads!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Kay!

I’m looking forward to that new television series this fall called Under Covers. It’s looks really fun about the couple who are spies.

I haven't seen this preview. Have you seen the Covert Arms on USA on Tuesdays? It is very cool!

Jo Davis said...

Hi Karyn,
Thanks so much! Should you give them a try, I hope you enjoy them. :)

pjpuppymom said...

Hi Jo! Hi Suz! Great interview, you two!

Congrats on another SHADO release, Jo. I haven't started this series yet but I have both books on my tbr so it's only a matter of finding time. Looking forward to it!

And, speaking of looking forward to things...I am so stoked about the upcoming release of Sean's book! I just know that Ride the Fire is going to be flippin' awesome!

Oh, and you can add me to the list of those readers who are keeping their fingers crossed for Shane's book!

I've always had a soft spot for Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan as Bond. I'm also looking forward to Under Covers. Looks like it could be a fun series!

Jo Davis said...

Hi PJ!
Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy my spy guys when you have time to read them. :)

I'm looking forward to Sean's book, too! Hope you have some tissue ready...but no worries, that boy deserves to be happy.

I'd love to write Shane's book, too.. I never say never!

gigi said...

The book sounds good really.

Daniel Craig as Bond James Bond.
I love almost all the 007 guys.

SiNn said...

well all of ur spies r deff hot and could ask me on a hot date

Vaughn from Alias deff could come and ask me for a date hes yummy

theres a few others that ar ejust as yumm deff all james bond heros just the character wouldnt care which actor cause well they all were pretty hot

cant waitto read this series its new to me so will beaddingto my wish list

mortalsinn@yahoo.com